Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 18:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/154/135
BF:
Progress: 42%
Unhappy Intestinal Pain and Bloating

Hi all - I am on Atkins... well I am trying anyhow. This summer it has been hard to stick with it. My question sort of has to do with just that. If I have a few days where I fall off the plan and eat a lot of carbs - for about a week I have serious lower intestinal pain and feel bloated. Now - I know the simple answer here is... don't fall off the plan, duh. I am gonna try harder. But, any other suggestions for how to make this feeling go away faster?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 07:05

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

First, when you play havoc with your body (meaning, if you LC one day...cheat..eat carbs...back to LCing..etc) yes, you will experience tummy problems. You MUST stick to it if you want to get rid of the discomfort.

If you feel that you cannot devote 100% to LCing at this time then it is better to wait until you feel you can (i.e. when summer is over). Otherwise you are just playing russian roulette and may be doing more harm than good.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 08:04
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I agree. Carbs for me do the same thing which is GOOD.

You know your body and you know once you get to your goals you will never get heavy again.

Could you imagine if cheating was complete pleasure. How could you control that?

Weird huh???? Well it works for me in my little head.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 125/115/112 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I have the same problem if I eat more carbs than usual... I feel bloated and uncomfortable for quite a while afterwards... I think it's pretty normal once your body gets used to the raw stuff that you consume on a low carb diet... It doesn't accept carbs as well... I think alot of people with bowel problems actually improve in that category when eating low carb so it's definitely understandable...

Oddly, I have the same effect when I eat sugar free candy or anything sweetened with maltitol or similar sweeteners... So candy, whether it's low carb or not, causes an icky feeling...