Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 15:38

Plan: I don't know I need help
Stats: 3/237/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy I'm confused???

Can you tell me why , they sell Atkins products if your not suppose to eat them,??? I went today and bought some of the Breakfast bars and of the Hot ceral, and some of the candy bars but then I was told that if it contains sugar achol or something that began with a M that it will stall my loss...can you help...thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 15:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/189/170
BF:
Progress: 46%

I've been amazed at that myself.

Dont have an answer though
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 15:40
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

A lot of people have no problems with the products and Dr. Atkins i'm sure makes a mint on them.

The suggestions to be wary are from experienced Atkins dieters here and of course, like all advice, you can take it or leave it....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 15:44

Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%

I did the same thing, now after reading posts, I just use the shake in moderation, and very seldom eat the bars.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 15:47

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

For me the bars put me in a stall, but not JUST the bars. ANYTHING with Splenda in it.

I now can ONLY use Stevia. Not sure why it happens, but half an Atkins bar and WAM out of Ketosis.

You should moderateyl use them and see if you notice a difference. Not like you'll gain weight from them.

If you stall, try removing them.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 15:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

They sell them because people will buy them....and because a lot of people can use them and not have a problem.
As with all things, use in moderation. I don't think the good doctor ever intended for people to be pigging out on low carb goodies or skimping on legal veggies so that they can have a bar or muffin instead. Low carb or not, if you find that you can't limit yourself to one or two servings of such foods a day (or less) and keep going back for more, they're probably a trigger for you and should be avoided. The fact that people tend to use these products in place of veggies is why I think they are better for later phases where you are already getting plenty of veggies and can afford to hold back a few carbs for a treat.
Sugar alcohols (maltitol, xylitol, sorbitol) do seem to stall a lot of people. OTOH, we usually only hear from those that have a problem, not from the ones that can use them successfully.
As always, YMMV.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 15:58

Stats: 205/189/170
BF:
Progress: 46%

When I first started doing Atkins I would eat a bar for breakfast and a bar for lunch and then a low carb dinner and I lost about 15 lbs in the first 3-4 weeks.

So they worked fine for me on induction, although I didn't own the book then so I wasn't exactly following the plan correctly in hindsight
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: Primal
Stats: 250/250/210 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs down

all that low carb stuff is too expensive and to me they go against what this way of eating is all about, eating nature's food..not a bar pressed by a machine in a factory...WHO knows what's in those thangs.