Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 06:19
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 170/161/155
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default need more fat

HI,
Doing well. Five pounds one week. Keep hearing that in order to lose weight one must increase fat intake. I am doing fine with the added protein and am in and out of ketosis, but what do i eat for added fat. I have olive oil on the small salads. Mayo in the tuna and egg salad. Meats I guess have some fat. I really don't know how to increase this. I am taking soen supplements that contain oils. Omega 3 and flax. Any help would be appreciated. For the most part I don't cook so it is what I buy and order out that I have to find out about. Thanks
Allen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 06:44

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Well done on your weight loss so far.

You are already getting quite a bit of fat from the olive oil and mayonnaise as well as the meat you eat.

Ways of adding more are putting butter on your veggies, from cheese, nuts or your could add cream cheese, peanut butter - just keep an eye on the additional carbs as well.

Pity you don't cook you could easily make some tasty meals with frying/grilling meat, fish, etc and frying/microwaving some veggies.

Little Anne
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 08:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Melted butter with herbs and/or lemon juice is a lovely dressing for chicken or fish, melted butter with garlic and herbs is wonderful on roast meats, steaks and chops.

Avocados are a good source of monounsaturated fat. Look for California, Hass or Mexican type, with the bumpy black skin. These are lower in carbs, higher in fat than smooth-skinned, bright green Florida types.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 15:20
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 170/161/155
BF:
Progress: 60%
Wink

Doreen,
YOu mentioned avocados which I love. Are they
ok during induction. Thanks
Allen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 15:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yep! In the 2002 edition of DANDR he gives the thumbs up on avocados. Here is the quote:

To add variety each day you can also eat ten to twenty olives, half a small avocado, one ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three TBsp. of lemon or lime juice.. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

Karen