Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 19:45

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default No specific plan...?

OK. I've been eating LC for a few days now (lost a pound, I think!). I've read the Adkins New Diet book and Protien Power. My problem has always been one of willpower... I find it hard to stick to a rigid diet, even for a short time (i.e. 2 week induction period). That's always been my problem, be it Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, whatever.

So I'm following my own plan of eating low carb. Mostly meats, cheeses, nuts, salads, etc. I admit to a few drinks (I prefer the low-carb distilled variety, even though I know they affect insulin).

Has anyone here had success following his own LC WOE, without following a stringent plan? I hope so. I know that I will be chided for my lack of stick-to-it-iveness, but I know my own weaknesses, and I am sincerely apologetic for them.

Anyone here just doing his own thing?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 20:25

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

You know...I think if you asked any of the longtimers here and they would admit that they don't stick entirely to any one plan. Everyone tweaks the WOE their own way to make it work. That being said...I wouldn't recomment to a new person that they start without anything. If you feel confident this is working for you (and the proof is inthe results) then go for it! I just think that there is a pretty steep learning curve and it can take a while to get used to how it works.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 20:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'd have to agree with Lisa on this. When you're just starting out with LC is it best to have some kind of roadmap to guide you. As you learn more about the different plans that are available you start to incorporate bits and pieces from them into your WOL.

The benefit of picking a plan and sticking with it at the outset is that it provides guidelines for the different phases of fat loss and strategies for coping with stalls/plateaus and setbacks. While you may have found rules for diets rigid in the past it's important to look at this change in eating as a lifelong commitment. If you think 'guidelines' instead of 'rules' and 'Way-of-Life' instead of 'diet' you come to realize that 100% adherence isn't the objective, learning new behaviours and become more educated about nutrition and how your body works are.

There are some LC plans that are very strict when you start out (Atkins) and there are others that are less (CAD, Protein Power). Have you looked through the link on the right of the page "Which LC Plan is Right for Me?" - many of the plans are explained and reviewed there.

Cheers,
Nat (of the Heinz 57 Plan )
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 05:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%

Hi Kmarie [I posted a detailed reply to this question over in your journal.]
After reading most of the well-known low carb books, I struggled with 'the plan' question. For quite a while, I felt guilty that I was doing exceptionally well without one! I knew I was better off finding my own way, especially since in my crazed, 3 decade yo-yoing dieting past, 'plan' meant numbers, counting, binging, obsessing, back to counting, planning, and more obsessing over numbers and figures..... All the while I ALWAYS managed to gain the weight back when I went off or even veered off the dreaded 'plan.'

When I was still obsessed and fixated on 'being on a low carb plan' my head spun when I contemplated:
-Atkins pushes those disgusting mixes and bars and is so limited on fruit
-Protein Power has too many numbers and figures and calculations Eerie and disturbing reminders of my 'low-fat-count-everything' days.
-Carb Addicts permits a wild anything-goes meal--would be my downfall, as there are certain foods I must avoid completely and I can't afford to go near certain carb trigger foods, including all grains.
-Paleo does not permit dairy
-Schwarzbein calls coffee and alcohol POISON etc. etc. etc.

So here I am , six months later and almost at goal. My "plan" is to eat MY low carb way for the rest of my life. I found what works for me and reading this forum every day has been a tremendous help. I also regularly refer to my low carb books for recipe ideas and carbs counts and other info.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 06:43

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Twiggy - I like your approach! I must admit that while I mostly follow Schwarzbein, my adherence hasn't been 100%...and to be honest, I don't know that anyone is 100% "on plan" all the time. I think if you can pick and choose what you like from each one and make up your own that's great. A lot of people need more guidance during the early learning curve of the WOE until they get comfortable with it.

I think all I'm saying is that the only difference between yourself, Kmarie and I is just that I've got SP listed as my plan but I'm sure the good dr. wouldn't agree that I'm following it! And I think a lot of people are like that.

It sounds like you've had great success doing it your own way (and thinking outside the box!) --

Congratulations!

Lisa