Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 13:46

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question Celexa

I just delived a beautiful new baby into the world 3 weeks ago. (Dec 16th) She was beautiful and everything went perfectly. But still had post partum depression which my doctor treated with celexa (20 mg). I want to start the atkins diet and start exercising regularly again. But I just wanted to know if this medication was going to affect my weight loss. I'd like to know before I start so I don't get discouraged. I've heard that anti depressants can stall or stop weight loss with the atkins diet. Anyone have any info???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 14:18
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Hello corianin!
First of all, congrats to your baby!!

About anti-depressants, I think they have been thoroughly discussed in this support group:
Addiction & Depression

Here's one thread, for example:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=104853

Take care!

/gil
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 15:36

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Even if they do slow your losing down a bit, you need them for other reasons. And isn't losing slowly better than not losing at all?

You may find that the stabilizing effect of a Low carb diet on blood sugar also helps the mood. But follow your doctor's advice on taking the Celexa. Your physician has seen you and knows your case.

If you are nursing the baby, you may not want to get into ketosis anyway. It has been reported that babies don't like the taste of the ketones in breast milk. How about following a higher level of carbs - see the Ongoing Weight Loss or Pre-Maintenance sections of the Atkins books.
Congratulations on the new baby. And best wishes for your success.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 16:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Does the Celexa make you tired and feel like your dragging? If so, then it may slow down your weight loss. There are many many different anti-depressants out there. Wellbutrin, for example, does NOT slow down weight loss; and if you feel sluggish, you may ask your Dr. about switching to that.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 18:06

Stats: 206.2/196.0/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Congratulatons on the birth of your girl!!! Good for you for getting help right away for the depression.

I have a son that is 15-months old, and I went through something similar. I didn't take anti-depressants, but I found out that my thyroid was not functioning correcly, and getting on meds for that took away the depression. If you have trouble losing weight, have your doctor check to see if you're hypothyroid. It's VERY common for pregnant women to become hypothyroid after giving birth. Also, if the meds don't take away the depression, I'd also have your doctor check your thyroid. I hope I don't sound like I'm lecturing you, I just went through 10 months of struggle before I discovered a solution, and now I feel wonderful!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 18:12

Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

i agree!! i've never been pregnant, but i AM hypothyroid!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go get it checked out. i was tired and lethargic and my hair was falling out and COULD not lose weight for the life of me. it's taken ME a couple of years, but i HAVE lost forty pounds with the correction of diet and thyroid hormone...so PLEASE go get it checked. i honestly believe, though i haven't been pregnant i have done a lot of research, i think the THYROID is one of the main reasons for post partum depression. and have the doctor check you iron levels. you could be anemic. i'm still tired and it turned out i was anemic; also, if you find that celexa doesn't work there is a new one out there called lexapro. i had the running legs the first week or so i took it, but now i don't even feel like i'm on it and i have the motivation and drive to do things i never have before. BEST OF LUCK!! and stick to this board; it's a great motivational tool in itself!! and congradulations on your new baby--you must be so proud!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 21:54

BF:
Default celexa

Thanks for all the advice!! I would never have thought about getting my thyroid looked at. I would have blamed the lack of weight loss on the medication or my damn metabolism. I will definitely check with the doctor though. I am having my post partum appt on Jan 19th so I will ask him to check it. This was a surrogate pregnancy and I think that led to alot of my depression so I'm not sure it's from my thyroid, but better safe than sorry! As wonderful as the experience was, it was hard to deal with not having a baby at home when my hormones told me to nurture a little one. Soo, noooo breastfeeding for this chick! Thank goodness! I tried the atkins while I was breastfeeding my son. My husband was able to kick off about 50 lbs by the time I could lose 25. That brat! Later on I found out that prolactin inhibits weight loss. Do you know how long it takes your hormones to get back into normal ranges after pregnancy? It's been a month since the birth. Thanks again for the advice and support!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 07:51
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

corianin - You aren't allowed to recive privet messages yet, probably not enough posts. Anyway I think we know each other

My son is the same age as your daughter, and my daughter is close to age of your son (younger though, I'm trying to remember if I was pregnant when I recieved your son't birth announcement).

Last edited by LadyBelle : Fri, Jan-16-04 at 08:05.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 18:25

Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

you sometimes have to really push you doctor. sometimes your thyroid tests could come out normal but there are other underlying issues that need to be checked; i can't tell you right off the top of my head--if i run across the info tonight i'll be glad to post it for you. best of luck!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 19:23

BF:

Thanks alot Flynnlee! I had my post partum appt today and everything went well. I've been on the atkin's diet for 4 days now and have lost 6 lbs already. I know that in induction alot of the weight lost is water. But I'll stick with it and see how it goes. Wish me luck!!! I need to get back into those jeans dang it!!!