Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 09:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Old habits die hard!

For some reason, I'm really strong these days. I'm not tempted at all by high-carb foods. That's not to say I don't cheat a bit with extra cheese, coffee, and some red wine. But, honestly, I don't even want the sugar/flour stuff.

But yesterday I was baking some sugar cookies to send to my daughter's holiday party. I automatically started rolling a hunk of dough and was ready to pop it in my mouth! I caught myself before it went in, fortunately. My mental reaction was not what you'd expect, "Oh, darn, I can't have that!", actually, it was shock, "Hey, I don't DO that anymore!" But it was surprising to me after 3 months on this program that I still can fall into accustomed patterns!

(Yeah, I know...if I wasn't contributing to the nutritional delinquency of others by baking those nasties in the first place it wouldn't have happened. What can I say, I'm a wuss.)

Tami
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 09:49
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Isn't it funny to catch yourself in these old habits??? It does take a while for them to die off, but they do eventually! I think we've all been through that. What I found so amazing (and still do) is that my emotional reaction to "forbidden foods" has diminshed so much! I just don't look at a donut and quiver from head to toe anymore! (Ok, well warm chocolate chip cookies make me quiver a LITTLE.) Whenever I do take a snitch of pasta or a baked potato, I think, "Hmmmm....it sure doesn't taste as good as I remember!" It just tastes kind of bland and pastey!

Life is good!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 12:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Now that my hunger is "real" hunger, not the mere appetite I once had, I find I have a problem with fasting for lipid tests. I will cook something and ALMOST forget that I can't taste it. Or, I'll be walking through the kitchen and pick up a bag of nuts, only to remember at the last minute I'm supposed to be fasting. Thank goodness it's only for 12-14 hrs.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 20:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Be patient and kind with yourself. You have eaten carbs for years and considered them "treats' which equal love and comfort. It's only been 3 months that you have looked at them in a different light.

The more amazing thing is that you caught yourself before it went in your mouth. Congratulations!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 23:34

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I read a post by one person who said she chewed sugar free gum while cooking to stop herself from grazing.

Just an idea.

Robert
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 07:01

BF:

Sugar-free gum is a good idea! Keep the old mouth occupied! This situation with the cookie dough is not the first time this type of thing has happened. A few weeks ago I fixed a nice appetizer plate for my husband and I. I had sliced deli meats and cheeses, some on crackers for my husband. Again, without INTENDING to cheat, I downed a cracker without even thinking. I didn't even realize it until it was down the hatch. Another time I was breezing out a restaurant after a "legal" meal, and had my hand out to scoop up some mints before I caught myself. It's weird how these habits are so ingrained. I've also had to really steel myself to scrape the kid's leftovers down the garbage disposal, and not pick at their leftovers.

Tami
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 08:57

Stats: 181/164/150
BF:
Progress: 55%

You're doing so great! I can relate with the holiday baking - I made rice crispy treats and almost licked the marshmellow off my fingers - but caught myself just in time! Just habit - nothing to worry about.

My family doesn't need to worry about LC and I don't expect them to change because I've changed. I'm the one with the weight issue and I'm okay with it.

Happy LCing to you!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 09:25

BF:

Marie,

Although our house is much more low-carb than it used to be, it's not completely no-carb. I limit the carbs that come into the house, but have given up on trying to completely eliminate them. Last night I cooked the "Bacon-Cheeseburger Casserole" from the recipes section, but made it Taco-style. I ate it as-is, but the kids used it for taco filling (by the way, they said it was waaaaay better than the old taco package seasoning I used to use).

As far as sweet treats, the main thing I'm trying to teach my kids (and myself) is that a treat is just that---a treat--not part of our daily lives. Sure, we'll have dessert occasionally, and enjoy it even more because it's not expected after every meal.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment, Marie, I feel very good about where I am with this WOL. My biggest accomplishment was going on vacation at Thanksgiving, eating a couple of off-program meals, yet getting right back on track. In my previous dieting efforts that would be the sure start of a downward-spiral towards totally blowing it. The reality is that I am not going to NEVER have sugar/starch. I just had to find a program that is comfortable to live with so that I can enjoy an occasional treat but not go hog wild.

Tami
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 15:45

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

The other day I was making pasta for the family, and went to check if it was done by eating a piece. When I realilized what I was doing I run to the sink and spit it out!!

Old habits die hard!!!

#10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 08:53

BF:
Default Did it again!

I had a family emergency and had to go out of town. I know it was a stressful situation, but I still can't believe what happened. I bought sandwich meat, cheese and bread so that I could have the meat and cheese and make a sandwich for my mom. Somehow when it came time to make the sandwich, I totally forgot I was low-carbing, and made myself one, too! I ate 2-3 bites before my mom said, "So, is that your carb for the day?" Ooops. No. I don't eat bread!

I think I've figured out why this can happen to me. I just don't FEEL like I'm on a diet. Since I'm not so focused on what I should or shouldn't have, unintentional mistakes can happen. But that's a good thing, in my opinion. Since I don't feel deprived, OVERALL it's very easy to stay on program. (BTW, no problems afterwards with cravings, or other temptations, etc. PLUS I lost 2 lbs over the weekend!)

Tami
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 11:54
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

While baking the cookies over two days I found myself tempted to lick the beaters, scrape out the mixing bowls, taste the batter...you name it!! Those old "cook" habits are the hardest!

But, I resisted each time, never even tasted a cookie, didn't even miss it. Once I found myself tasting a piece of broken cookie, but the minute I put it in my mouth, I turned around and spit it out... Couldn't even handle it.

The habits -- the NEW ones -- are coming along.