Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/159/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:35%/35%/25%
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up 2nd time around

Hi. New to this forum but not new to Atkins. I had done it for 9 months over a year ago and loved it. Felt great, looked great, and lost weight. I did occasionally get bored with it, but once I had lost a decent amount of weight, I allowed myself to cheat once or twice a week. The only reason I stopped Atkins was because my doctor and a lot of uninformed relatives urged me to to see if a strange medical condition I was suffering from was related to the diet. It wasn't, but by then I was again hooked on carbs. I'm starting again today and have just sent hubby off to the store with my list - I'm trying to remember all the things I used to eat! Glad you're all here, I thrive on the support!
Sue
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:05

Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Welcome back!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 18:05

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%
Talking I'm Back, Too!

Hi, Rhaazz! The same darn thing happened to me, but came from my nutritionist! Can you believe that smack? I listened to her and some misinformed now ex-boyfriend, and I became scared and starting eating carbs again and the weight came back. Ya know what's NOT funny? The ex-boyfriend started critizing me for the weight gain. Oh don't worry putz is long gone--it's been a year.

I'm so glad you decided to take control and claim that body that's under the camoflage. If you need any hints, you can visit my journal. Start one of your own also. Feel free to roam all over this planet.

Last edited by Linda Love : Sat, Jul-26-03 at 18:09.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 07:17

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Welcome back! You don't have a lot of weight to lose so it might seem that it is coming off slowly - but don't despair - it will come off.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 08:47
Registered Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am now reminded that Low-carbers are probably one of the friendliest groups on earth! And thanks for the reminder that my loss may be slow.... I'm not exactly famous for my "patience" and will need to keep being reminded. But my real goal for today is to arm myself with some ammunition for all the idiots at work who will preach about how bad this diet is and how foolish I am to be doing it. I can already picture at least three different people who will observe me eating something they THINK I shouldn't while on a diet, and when they start to lecture and I respond that I'm low-carbing, they'll get on their uninformed soapbox and ramble on and on. I don't understand people like that, if I don't agree with someone's theories, I just respect them, quietly. If someone ASKED for my opinion, I would STILL diplomatically answer in a way that didn't offend them. So why do so many people think they know better than you, and WHY do they feel free to shove their opinions down your throat?!?! No, obviously, these are NOT friends of mine, just people who happen to work in the same area, NOT by my choice. I really like to try and inform some people of the TRUTH behind low-carbing, but for others, I think I need something short and final like "thank you for your thoughts and opinions, I only wish you had waited til I ASKED for it." And you know what I hate most?!?!?! The know-it-alls who scream at you the loudest are the ones that, 6 months or a year from now, will come in singing the praises of low-carbing and preaching to all about how wonderful it is! They will totally have forgotten that you already KNEW all this - they will make it seem that THEY invented it! Sorry, I'm on a tangent here and venting . . . guess I'm getting ready for my breakfast experience at the office when I order my eggs and sausage. Maybe I'll just say . . ."Eat your hearts out, suckers..... I'll see you in two weeks on the scale when we have our weigh in!" (I'm part of a company wide "competition" to see which team at the office can lose the most weight in 10 weeks.) Sue

Last edited by Sue777 : Sun, Jul-27-03 at 08:51.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 08:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Sometimes, not telling people ahead of time is better - wait till they start noticing your weight loss and ask you what you have been doing! It is hard for them to argue with results.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 08:53
Registered Member

I agree, Atriana, and I don't usually mention to my family and friends that I'm low-carbing until AFTER they marvel at how good I look. But at the office, and especially since there's this competition going on, everyone is watching everyone like a hawk. They practically follow you to the cafeteria to see what you order, or they stop by your desk 5 times a day to see what you might be munching on. I love the people I work with for the most part, but there are a few . . . .
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 09:23
Keto-licious

Plan: Atkins/low carb
Stats: 211.6/208/200 Female 5ft 6"
BF:38/38%/20%
Progress: 31%

Hi sue

Just wanted to pop in and say hi ... stick with the diet as it does give good results ... I lost 9lbs in 2 weeks and wasnt 100% rigid with induction (although had the best of intentions of course!) ... it is great to see the scales go down!!!!

Take care and speak soon!

Lindy
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 18:02

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hello Sue and welcome! I am living proof that Atkins works...7 weeks and 34 pounds later. Of course I had and still have a lot more to lose than you so your weight loss probably won't be that dramatic but it will come off! Everyone has to put up with the LC naysayers. I just politely say "Well I think everyone has to do whatever works for them." and ignore them. Time will prove you right. Good luck!
Lori
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:22
Registered Member

Stats: 165/130/120 Female 5ft 7in.
BF:
Progress:
Wink ranting is good

I know how you feel about people who criticize they way you are eating as "bad." Then they are the ones who are SO SMART later when they find this wonderful WOL. They do act like they invented it! And they do this to all aspects in their lives. I just have to take a deep breath and just ignore them.

Good luck on low carbing. I have fallen off the wagon for a few months myself. Got married, moved....etc. etc. So I'm here for some support now that I am not around my friends as much. It was easy to complain, sympathize, etc. They understood. New husband is really good but not a true substitute I have 10 lbs to get off. I'm sure it will come off slowly. In my mind I know that is good, but my heart is screaming faster!!

Good luck!!