Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 12:50

Plan: My own
Stats: 253/152/133 Female 5'5 ft
BF:
Progress: 84%
Unhappy Need opinions please...

It was Sunday evening when I weighted myself. The scale didn't move for the second week of induction. I was so sad, and decided to stop LC. I ate a bowl of oats with milk that night. Today I ate rice. I needed it. From Monday I am eating a low cal/low fat diet with carb intake to 80-90 and fat 10-20 (it is the same diet I was doing and lost my 60lbs) Weighted myself today. 180 again whats wrong with me

Why is it so hard to loose my 20 last pounds?

Anw, I decided that I am a carbs addict. Can't live with so little carbs atkins offers.

I have some choices to choose from:

1. start fat fast. But I have read that it would be dangerous if you are not IR, and as long as I am not IR, I am thinking about it. Also I don't have the book. I don't have the convenience right now to buy it from abroad so I don't know even the basics of fat fast.

2. Continue with low cal/low fat diet to see if I am going to loose. But day by day I am getting more anxious. I have to loose the remaining weight until January and I don't have so much time to "experiment" on things any more.

3. Start CAD diet if I can find its basics in here because, same as atkins diet, I don't have the convenience to buy the book.

Which is the best diet to loose fast and eat some carbs? (I need my cereals, legumes and rice).

Any info and/or comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated...

Last edited by tethgirl : Wed, Sep-21-05 at 13:00.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 12:56
Registered Member

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 343/283/230 Male 76 ins
BF:37.2
Progress: 53%
Default Serious message

Lets not pull any punches here. Eating a low fat high sugar diet is the greatest con of the 21st century and it will eventually kill you either through diabetes or heart failure.

Your a carb addict in the same way as someone would be a drug addict. You have got to get yourself away from all that sugar in your diet.

My personal view (And I've never been backward and coming forward!!) is that eating a high sugar diet is as dangerous as smoking.

Please dont go back to eating sugar as I dont want you to become a statistic !!!

Stu
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/230/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 33%

Patients might be the answer - the last lbs take time and coaxing.

I looked but no gym log - Do you work out? Walk, run weights. If not adding in some cardio helped me

Keep smiling it will come
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 13:13

Plan: My own
Stats: 253/152/133 Female 5'5 ft
BF:
Progress: 84%

Ahh forgot to create a gym log.

I am exercising 4 times per week for 45-50 minutes
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 131/126/120 Female 62.5 inches
BF:33%/22%/14%
Progress: 45%

Be careful with the low cal. If you take your calories too low too fast your body will think it's starving and cling tightly to the calories you give it.

As far as exercise what are you doing? If you are not doing strength training I highly advise it as having lean muscle mass will help you burn fat while at rest.

Last bit of advice, try to stay away from the scale more than once a week. Taking your measurements is a better way of determining if you are losing fat. If you must weigh yourself make sure you do it at the same time with about the same amount of clothing.

If you need help with adding variety to your workouts let me know. I'm a certified personal trainer and I have lots of exercise archives.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 15:04

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Hi there tethgirl -

sorry to hear you're in a bit of a fix right now. I've been there sooo many times, and yet I eventually have twice come back to low-carbing, because it does work and is the healthiest IMO way to eat.

Do you think part of the giving up and going back to carb-burning is to do with how you're feeling emotionally? It is my experience that the first (at least) couple of weeks going very low carb can be very hard emotionally, as your brain hasn't gotten used to regulating serotonin (feel good chemical) without the aid of carbs.

Your whole body undergoes and overhaul, and this does affect your brain. I know trying to come back to low-carbing I would go for a week then hit a wall, become depressed and give up. The problem is I always knew lowcarb was the only way I could have peace with food, appetite and have a healthy bod.

This time round I made it through the first month (it takes me longer to feel good than a lot of people), and I'm really feeling a lot better. I really think you can do this and feel good doing it. Going backwards and forwards to carb-burning may put on weight (it did for me).

I really hope you manage to work this out whichever way - it took me several years of trying out extremely different diets to finally come back to LC for good. The issues which made you come here in the first place are not going to go away with normal carbs I'm guessing?

Loops
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 19:44

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

I would recommend Sugar Busters, especially since you fell off the wagon for oatmeal! I'm not sure it's included in the "Plans" section. It's not LC, but lower carb (brown rice vs. white rice). Fruits are allowed and whole grains are allowed early on.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 21:41
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethgirl
It was Sunday evening when I weighted myself. ...

I never weigh myself in the evening. I always weigh in the morning before eating/drinking anything.

Plus, couldn't it just been water weight from your free meal? Don't get too discouraged...you've done so well so far. Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 02:53

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

South Beach has oatmeal after induction phase ...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 04:21
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Hiya, I think you'd be better suited to South Beach, I swapped over after a 6 month stall on Atkins and I have since lost 22lbs. I think it's a much better way of getting in the things you are craving without compromising the weight loss.
If you're interested in finding out more, then there's a thread I started in my signature, Beach Babes, and you can look at the link to the official SB food lists too to see if it's something you would like to consider.

I am only speaking for myself, but I am so pleased I did the swap...maybe it'd work for you too.