Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-15, 11:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Potassium question

I've read in many places where we get low on potassium when we go on the Atkins diet. I've used this wonderful diet for years and years. I do experience alot of fatigue and weakness when I am on the diet. I've heard that we can have heart issues if we get too low on potassium. How do you guys keep your potassium levels up? Do you take a potassium supplement and if so, how much?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-15, 12:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Check out the thread on salt in my signature. Turns out the issue is with too little sodium, not potassium. Or at least, having too little sodium makes you have, in turn, too little potassium.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 08:19

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

vegetable juice aka V8 works for me, lots of sodium potassium and magnesium.

I also salt my food like a demon
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 09:29

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

What we need is a balance of sodium and potassium. You can get a low cost blood test to tell you how you are doing.

Too much of either electrolyte can be dangerous.

Foods highest in potassium:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods...00000000-1.html

Looks like coffee and tea are great sources, and that's OK with me.

Of course, if you have renal disease or any other health issues, both the blood test and your health provider should be consulted.

Bob
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 13:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I would mention caution in using potassium supplements. When I first tried low-carb someone told me you have to have more potassium, I took some supplements and it seemed they actually gave me strong heart palpitations. When I stopped taking it the palpitations stopped. A friend who's a nurse said potassium can have this side effect. I'd suggest doing lots of research and start with small doses, if you're already having the symptom you don't want to exacerbate it.

Motherwort or hawthorn extract are both excellent heart tonics. In the 50s MDs used to give heart patients hawthorn injections, it was a standard thing for heart healing. Hawthorn berry is used the most, but many supplements include all parts of the plant. Motherwort is very healing and strengthening for the heart. Oh and so is lemon balm, you can often find it fresh at the farmers markets this time of year (use it to make tea or add to sparkling water, it tastes very lemon-y!).
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 15:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have a feeling the low potassium myth comes from not eating your bananas and potatoes, which Everyone Knows(tm) are necessary for human health. Plenty of LC foods are quite high in potassium: avocados, fish, meat, other veggies.

Re supplements: the pills are only 99mg. In contrast, a pork chop has about 500 mg, salmon about 700 mg, and an avocado has over 1000 mg.

If you think you're short on potassium but not sure, a good bet is the NuSalt (Potassium salt instead of sodium.) You can put in on your food in modest amounts but it would be pretty hard to overdo it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-15, 08:21

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

It's illegal to sell a potassium supplement that provides more than 99mg. FDA rule supposedly to keep people from OD-ing on it.

I don't know if that's true or not, or if taking it in pill form is different from taking it in natural foods.

Bananas are over-rated, they don't even make it in the top 200 of the list I linked to above (neither do potatoes). It's just a sales pitch IMHO.

I do know that too much can be dangerous, which is why a blood test and consultation with a health provider is good before taking supplements.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-15, 08:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

Yummy mushrooms have lots of potassium~~ almost as much as a banana that has 422mg

Portobello mushroom

Amount Per 1 piece whole (84 g)1 cup diced (86 g)100 grams1 cup diced (86 g)
Calories 19 % Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.3 g 0%
Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 8 mg 0%
Potassium 313 mg 8%
Total Carbohydrate 3.3 g 1%
Dietary fiber 1.1 g 4%
Sugar 2.2 g
Protein 1.8 g 3%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 1%
Vitamin D 2%
Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 0%
Magnesium 0%
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-15, 10:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The RDA for potassium is huge. 4700-5100. The RDA is not a maximum by any means.

However, having said that I've heard that people on potassium sparing blood pressure meds can definitely hurt themselves on potassium supplements.