Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 02:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/145/140 Female 5ft 7.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%
Question Glandular fever (Mono) any benefits through Low Carbing???????????

Hello,

I've just started the Atkins Diet, and after an intial period of feeling tired (2 days) I now feel I'm on the way to feeling full of energy and very centred.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any LC diets that are suitable to maintain a better state of health, in general rather than initially loosing weight?

I ask the question because my partner has Glandular Fever (Mono) for the second time in 2/3 years, and other than feeling very lathargic he if free of any other major symptons. He isn't overweight at all but eats loads of carbs (pasta, rice, cola, chocolate, etc, along with meat and a small amount of veg).

Would a LC diet be a good idea?

If so which one at which level?

Or would it be better to wait until he has recovered fully, to start
on an new eating programme?.

Comments, advice and suggestions would be very much appreciated

Regards,

Bungle.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 16:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't think it makes much difference, as long as there's enough protein and nutrients in the diet. When I had mono, my only symptoms were weakness and extreme fatigue. I started using a lot of garlic (to the detriment of my social life ), I took echinacaea and zinc, and I noticed a difference within a week.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Jul-21-02 at 16:59.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 00:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/145/140 Female 5ft 7.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Kristine,

Thanks for the advice and info.
He has been taking echinacaea, and general vitamin boosters but not the Zinc or Garlic, so I shall be of to the health food shop asap, and give it a go !

When he's feeling a lot better I think that he could give the LC programme a go and stuff in loads of healthy stuff!

Regards

Bungle.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 08:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Bungle! Hope he's feeling better soon. I would suggest real garlic, not the pills. And it has to be raw. Processing or cooking seems to destroy the anti-viral properties. I used to either mince a clove and make very strong garlic bread with cheese, or just cut it into pieces small enough to be swallowed with water.