Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 07:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/303/225 Male 5-8
BF:whopping!
Progress: 0%
Default bummed out in Carolina

I woke up this morning and was 4 pounds UP after losing a over 10 pounds in the past two weeks. I am bummed out, discouraged, tired, and most of all just plain mad. I haven't cheated. I havent had anything that was bad for me. I was doing well...feeling good...loving this WOL. Now Im just not sure if it was ever meant for me to lose anything. I wonder if I am doomed to live like this.

I guess sometimes, when you get knocked off of the horse, you get back on and try again...but I am almost too tired of trying. JEEZE, I was doing so well!

<<<Walking away, sulking>>>
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 08:16

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

WAS doing well?

If math is correct, your still down 6 pounds!! What were you doing before this WOL?? Were you losing 6 pounds in 2 weeks?

Just tryin' to throw it into perspective for you.

It gets very frustrating. I have been in the dark pink zone, and have NOT CHEATED at all. NOTHING. And have been fluctuating up and down the SAME two pounds FOREVER!!

But you know what, it is a way of life, not a way of four weeks. Right?? You keep keeping on, and it'll happen.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 08:20
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Don't get discouraged! Weight fluctuates like crazy on a day to day basis. The overall trend is down, but it also goes up sometimes-you will notice this especially if you weigh daily. Lots of things can influence an up in weight-hormones, water retention...If you have been doing the plan, then you are going to be OK. I have had some days where I was two pounds heavier than the day before-it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to gain two pounds of fat in a day (well I guess I could eat 7000 calories and do it). Therefore, it must be water or something. One of the members here posted her weight loss chart-it had daily ups and downs like crazy-but over the course of weeks, the weight loss was downward.

This is a long term thing. Just remember that.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 08:27

I'm NOT going to stop. I just expected more. I was losing at a good pace and the BLAM!, I hit that 4 pounds UP. I just want so badly to see that damned scale dip under 300 and I am SO close, but it seems like 300 has a grip on me and won't turn me loose. I think 300 KNOWS if I ever get it behind me, it's DEAD! So, i think that it is trying to hang on for dear life.

Just frustrated now.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 08:38
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Just keep on plugging.... you are going to be on the other side of 300 very shortly!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 08:46

Stats: 298/286/180
BF:
Progress: 10%

Ok Southern Cuz...the other day I ate some pig skins and greenbeans loaded with fat-back in it. LOTS of both. REALLY LOTS of both. ALL salty as heck. I gained 6 POUNDS the next day! BUT, all that next day, I drank tons of water and cut down on my salt intake (fat-back and all). My wieght went down again.

You're doing GREAT! Besides, if you hadn't stepped on those scales and looked, how much do you FEEL you've lost? I'll bet you feel better than you did before you started Atkins. THAT'S the goal...not some number on a machine.

Hang in there Cuz, we gonna be OK!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 08:51

Im gonna cut back to the bare basics. Goin back to chicken and cheese and salad and hamburgers (no bun). I am stopping the Diet Rite, heavy cream, creme cheese, splenda, etc. I am cutting back on the pork Rinds. I think that may have been a problem with me. I got hooked on that faux cheese cake and Diet Rite.

I'm gonna get back to basics and see if that kicks me back into losing.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 09:13
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Way back when, I posted my weight loss chart.... take a look:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=62526

You'll see that the graph is all over the place!! You have to realize that upticks on the chart are a natural part of losing weight and either learn that they're okay or chuck the scale.

But you're right to cut back on the salt and treats.... especially the calorie dense ones and the ones with artifical anything in them. Are you drinking your water???

Hang tough!! You'll be just fine!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 09:15
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Thanks for finding and posting that Teri! Looking at it always reassures me. Hopefully it will reassure Mob, too.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 09:30

Stats: 227/201/197 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 87%

Yeah, don't get bummed. Imagine a football team and they are up 10-0 in the first quarter, then the other team gets a fieldgoal ( or in your case 4 points). Does the winning team all give up and head to the locker room? Nope, they tighten up and get more determined to win.

As for getting back to losing, check your caloric intake. At your weight, I think you want to keep it under 3200 calories per day, with some exercise kicked in to help with your metabolism.

Also, only eat cheese and dairy every other day. They have been known to stall people.

Finally, watch your red meat intake. Some may argue the theory, but the meat does have trace levels of steroids and hormones plus other bulk building chemicals.

If you like, try a fish-week, where all your dinners are a combination of fish and light veggies only.

Tom C
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:16

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Default Higher mathematics

Hi all,

mObster, Paleoanth has gotta be right. You'd be hard put to consume enough calories in a day to gain that much weight in fat, so the four pounds you're talking about has to be water. Just scale bounce, that's all.

I know from your past posts that you are drinking gallons of water so that should flush sodium out of your system, but . . . Salt does cause you to retain water. You eat a lot of pork skins (my favorite munchie too !) and they contain an astonishing amount of sodium. But this water weight is not real weight. I mean, you could sit in a steam bath for an hour and lose a bunch of scale weight, but not an ounce of fat.

TeriDoodle's chart is a graphic truth. What you want is a downward trend over weeks, which makes a scale bounce day an insignificant blip.

'Sides, you're butting up against a big obstacle. Simple math will tell you that a pound of fat weighs one pound. But higher math, like used in quantum physics, tells us there are two big numbers. Those ending in "5" are pretty big, but those ending in "0" are huge numbers. Your scale will confirm this mathematical quandry.

Imagine if society required you to wear your weight on a card around your neck (human societies have done things equally lunatic) like this: "Weight: Over 300 lbs.," and, "Weight: Over 200 lbs." See what a huge difference that "0" number makes?

mObster, you roared into this forum with wit and an enthusiasm almost as big as my appetite, and we've all enjoyed following your progress. Please don't give up now. I'll guran-damn-tee you weren't "meant" to be fat.

And when you crack that monster "0" number and fall below 300 pounds, bet'cha there'll be a forum celebration. I know I'll be cheering.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:28

Arrow...What a good post. It has inspired me, along with evey one else's, and I am anew. Im not gonna give up, but it IS discouraging to see that scale tell me what I don't want to see. This started out like an easy thing as I was losing weight fast at first...now that I have stalled a bit, it is more of a fight, but that scale is NOT going to beat me. Im not THAT weak! I'm still in ketosis, Im still eating what Im supposed to eat, and Im gonna get under that 300 mark if it kills me...of course if it DOES kill me then I'll be ASSURED of loising weight...LOL

Thanks guys!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:40

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

My chart looks just like that! My weight fluctuates daily too, but the trend is downward, so I don't let that get me down. Sometimes I do feel that disappointment or depression creeping up on me, but I talk myself out of it by saying stuff like "what the hell are you disappointed for? you've lost xxx pounds in less than a month and you're disappointed? Get real!" or "I look and feel better than I did a week/a month ago". I also go back to the charts and reasssure myself of the longterm downward trend. That always makes me feel 100% better
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/168/145 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 43%

I agree- you are still on my thumbs up list!!!! Actually I did something similar only to see the scales drop that and more so it is probably a temporary reaction. So keep on doing good -I am sure that there will be good news to report soon!!!
Jan
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 11:35

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Even one serving of pork rinds will make me retain a lot of water !!