Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 17:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%
Default Restaurants that Cheat

Restaurants that Cheat

My wife and I recently ate dinner at the local Outback Steakhouse restaurant. We both ordered ribeye steak with steamed vegetables. The waitress was given instructions that the steak and vegetable were to have no additives, tenderizers, seasonings, etc. BAD NEWS. The food was not prepared as requested. We are confident the steak, vegetables or both had added sugar. She is in complete remission from Crohn’s disease on the low-carb diet and is extremely sensitive to hidden sugars. We know some hidden carbs were added to the meal because this is the same food we routinely eat at home.

I am sure that many restaurants cheat by sweetening everything for the general public. Rather than list the restaurants that cheat, perhaps it would be more helpful to list those restaurant chains that attempt to cook food as instructed. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kent
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 17:46

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I bet they get their steaks pre frozen. And so many meats are infused with a 2% flavoring solution that tenderizes and sweetens a lesser cut of meat.
Sigh....even the meat from grocers is starting to do that.

Sorry no suggestions of restaurants.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 18:12
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I like villiage in. For the most part I just have problems with the sodium levels. That is true anywhere I eat though.

I also really love the Wendy's grilled chicken samwich with no bun or tomato, though the sauce does have small amount of sugars (You can get mayo instead) and thier cesear salad, though I don't know if the dressing is trust worthy. The McDonald's dressing I know not to go near.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 20:02

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

That could be a real problem. I don't really have any answers...except maybe to try small individually owned rest.? We have a local rest. that uses fresh ground beef and real cheese (not processed)...I'm not sure about their steaks and stuff. I also assume that small places like that would be more open to you bringing in your own condiments. I did just find out today that a fairly local health food store is making lc breakfasts and lunches that sounded pretty good and I don't imagine there would be a problem with stuff like nitrates and hidden sugars there. Do you know of a health food store that also has a rest? I'm looking forward to hearing more replies to this!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 20:41

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

I do not remember to see/visit ANY American steakhouse that did NOT brag about how they slowly (24-48 hours) tenderdize, cure, etc. their meats. As bevbme mentioned they usually get the meat already tenderdized. So it is possible that they told you the true, they do not ADD anything more. But there was already more than enough in the meat. Similar way, most of the restaurant use frozen half-prepared vegetables. And they do not ADD anything more.

Maybe this is some kind of food safety issue?

Maybe some smaller family owned restaurant has real fresh steak, but I have never seen them here, in US.

Last edited by Galadriell : Thu, Mar-04-04 at 10:49.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 12:04

Plan: atksins
Stats: 285/233/170 Male 5"9
BF:
Progress: 45%

this is news to me

i've been going to the Keg having steak with buddies once a week...now i find out i am having carbs???

the Keg is great, their ceaser salad is the has the lowest carb count possible in any ceaser salad, and their steaks taste great.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 14:46

Plan: 1
Stats: 1/1/1
BF:
Progress:

You know if you go to a real restaurant (ie something that is not a chain) you'll get what you ask for.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 08:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Reading the original post in this thread about sugar added to steak, I was reminded of a mock ad I heard on "Prairie Home Companion". It was for Mrs. So and So's Secret Sauce. The ingredients were high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, and jelly beans. Mrs. So and So announced, "I used to cook for a bunch of grumps, until I discovered that if you add sugar to everything, they get happy." Then you heard a man's voice saying "This broiled salmon is delicious! It tastes just like a twinkie!"

P.S. Mrs. So and So then adds "And butter, add lots of butter!"
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 12:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
that if you add sugar to everything, they get happy."

That seems to be the basic thinking of most commercial foods these days. They get happy, they get addicted, they prefer the sweet taste, and we get a cheap preservative and filler.