Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 10:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 216/195/140 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default trying again

Hello all.
After a hiatus brought on by holiday binging...Im back on then only WOL that has EVER worked for me. Why I abandon it for sugary treats is beyond me.

anyway, I have immersed myself back into the Atkins WOL. I started on my induction sat 4/29, at 213lbs and I have already gotten down to 208. Like I said this is the ONLY WOL that actually works for me...and I'm not suffering through it. Its just so hard coming to terms with the fact that I can never eat sweets again. When I have a sugar relapse, I have such a hard time getting back on the Atkins horse...hence the 8 month hiatus.

I have decided to totally throw myself into it, Ive got to keep trying I do not want to be overweight anymore, its not healthy for me physically and mentally.

I am just so inspired by all of you....if anyone can offer me some pearls of wisdom, I would be forever grateful.

Also, I am really concerned about excess skin. I know I have a long way to go before I experience it, but is there anything I can do while loosing to make the excess skin not so bad...or not so much. Like using coco butter daily or a specific exercise.

I am so afraid that I will lose the weight but still look and feel like garbage b/c of all the skin. I have been overweight all my life, not to mention I HATE change..even when it's for the best. I know being overweight, i know how to manipulate my face in a picture not to look so bad...I do not know how to handle what may come with loosing the weight.

any help and words of encouragement would be so helpful, and appreciated.

thank you in advance. keep up the good work, you all are an inspiration
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 13:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/155.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Congrats to you for getting back in the saddle again! I think the best advice anyone ever gave me about this WOL is to focus on what you CAN have instead of what you CAN’T. Let your success motivate you. When your clothes are feeling looser and your waist is shrinking before your very eyes. Is that REALLY worth a piece of pie or candy bar??? You have to make an honest choice about what you really-really want.
Dive in and use the fabulous recipes in the kitchen.

((((CLICK HERE))))
Having prepared meals and snacks on hand at all times reduces your chances of cheating.
You can do this! I’m rooting for ya!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 17:37

Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

welcome back. I have been back for six or seven weeks. I tried to come back dozens of times, but just wasn't ready. I guess this time I was. I am doing very good, except for not drinking enough water. You and I are in the same weight range, so we can do this together. Yes? At least since you have done this before, you know all the right and wrong things to eat, so you are that much a head of the game. How much did you lose in the past?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-04-07, 12:07

Stats: 242/233/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Coming Back!

I think we have all come back at some point in time, the main thing is that we are back!
Have a wonderful weekend all!
Laura
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 08:16

BF:

Thanks so much for all of your welcomes and support!

I was able to get down to 185 in may 2003 after hovering around 220 for a few years (talk about freshman 15...lol...)

between then and now i have fluctuated up and down and i have pretty much stayed at 210 since the holidays. i am determined to get into the 180's by august...then i will take it from there.

my best freind is having a huge wedding and i am the maid of honor, in june 2008. i dream of being 140 by then. i havent been 140 since junior high. see, she is marrying my first boyfriend...and his family, i think will be making some silly comments since we dated 10 years ago. not that i care, i am happy in my own relationship but i want to look good. not to mention...i know my relationship is progressing and a ring will be coming sooner than later (he has been asking unusual questions) i do not want to be dissatisfied in the pictures like i always am.

its time. its do or die. i think i can do it this time if i take advantage of all the good things around me. i work in drug treatment of ex-felons. i tell them all the time "work the program" i need to take my own advise! i need to work this wol
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 09:43
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I think the best way to cut down on excess skin would be to lose at a slow consistant pace..I know when I take off like 1-2lbs a week I seem to feel better and your skin will adjust with you.. when you lose or gain fast it causes problems.. at least in my experience (stretch marks, etc.)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 09:50

Stats: 146.8/145/135 Female 5 feet nine inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Congrats on being back...I have been re-starting induction for 3 weeks now since a vacation binge! If you want to prevent excess skin from sagging you should do some light cardio and strength training. It doesn't have to be hard...go for a 30 minute walk around the block and use some 5 lb weights to do some exercises. Also, squats and lunges are hard at first but they really do work! Only do as many reps as you can at first and then build up your stamina. Go to self.com or shape.com they have great free step by step videos on different strength training moves.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 10:11

BF:

thanks all!
i have been trying to get 30 mins of light cardio into my daily routine and i did it today. i have an eliptical machine at home and if i could just get myself on it 30 mins before i shower and then 30 mins before dinner, i'd feel a alot better and i owuld be toning up. i have to stop fighting this. Sometimes I mess up becasue i think if i limit my portions of anti-atkins foods i'll be ok..but i am not. it triggers cravings and makes me hungry. i need to work this plan.

i am so inspired by all of you. ive got to keep on coming here, i think its the seceret!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 10:15

BF:

u know what i have to come to terns with....i will never have a perfect body! i will always have excess skin and stretch marks. it tis that reality that keeps me fat. sometimes i figure why go through the hell if you will still look bad. its a crutch and im lettin it go

yeah so i may never have a perfect body...but i can have soemthing better than i have now and thats a good thing
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 09:02

Plan: Atkins/High Fat Atkins
Stats: 184/157/135 Female 66 in
BF:I/aint/tellin
Progress: 55%

For the excess skin, I highly recommend weight training. They don't need to be heavy weights, 1lb, 3lb and 5lb to start with. There are some really great weight training books for women that talk about using weights to get toned (and not the bodybuilder look) out there. One of the great benefits of weight training is that muscle requires more calories to sustain itself than fat. So, the more muscle you can build, the more calories you can burn when you are not exercising. (It's the reason that men have an easier time losing weight than women do, they naturally have more muscle mass on their bodies).

Welcome back and keep up the good work!!!
Laurie
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 09:02

BF:

Hello all
i am so anxious to weigh in. i have done so well this week...eating around 1000 cals (60% fat, 10% carb, 30% protien...thanks fitday) and excerizing 30 mins in the am and 30 mins in the pm..gotta love that jazeelle, it is acually fun once you get past the fact that u hate excerize...lol

anyway, i want to weigh in now but i dont want to be disapointed if i didnt loose. i am going to hold off till tuesday, just 2 days shy of a week. i dont want to wait until thursday
(a full week since weigh in) because i need to keep myself on my toed b/c of the weekend. if i know weigh in is thursday, i will thing i can cheat on friday or sat. oh, the mind games

hey whatever works

jsut wanted to say hello, and to say that i have never felt better and more motivated. i have been waking up before my alarm, not falling asleep on the couch at 10:00pm like an old lady and no more heartburn. i love low carb...i just need to remember that when i am tempted by the white devil (sugar) and all its affiliates (flour, bread, cakes and cookies).

have a great weekend all