Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 08:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/160/110 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Yogurt? Milk?

*PERK*

Dont tease me! hehe

Ive been seeing over and over suggestions for adding yogurt to our low-carb menus but can not find the how and why behind it.

How many carbs can we subtract from the full fat yogurt, and why do we subtract them? Does anyone know the science behind this, is there an article on this out there and if so will someone be so kind to provide it?

Does the same apply for full fat milk?..for soy milk?? Which is recommended and why is one prefered over the latter?

I love Silk soy and 8th continent and had given them up.

I would love to add yogurt and milk back in, but dont want to start without understanding the specifics.

Thanks in advance!

love,
C.

Last edited by bfl_h0ttie : Thu, Aug-21-03 at 09:00.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 08:43
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

#3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 08:58
Registered Member

BF:
Default yay!

hey Lisa, thanks a bunch! ...and I was just over at your peanut butter question thread too.

Off to reading I go..

Thanks again.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 09:10
Registered Member

BF:
Default alrighty

read through the yogurt thread ...clear on that.

Does anyone have the answer to the milk/soy milk question? I was under the impression that carbs from lactose are broken down differently in the body....different effects on insulin??

Thanks.

C.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 09:48
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Yogurt can be a YMMV. Some people do find they have to count all the carbs. I have always counted all the carbs "just in case". A 1/2 cup of StoneyField Farm though only adds 6g of carbs to my day. That is a small amount of carbs for the calcium and all the health benifits of the good bacterias. Make sure to get a full fat one with at least 5 active cultures. Dannon Whole milk has only around 3 I think. StoneyField Farm is the lowest carb I've found, MountainHigh is sometimes easier to find though and has a richer creamier texture.

If you are really missing milk, you might try to find a product called Soy Slender. It's a soy milk, but it honestly does taste close to regular milk. It is sweetened with splenda, and containes no wheat, barley or other "added things" many other soy milks do. It's only 1 net carb (ECC) per 8 oz cup, a good source of protien, and like I said, the taste is amazing. The local grocery stores here don't carry it, but they do carry West Soy. I talked to the manager of the Grocery department at the local store here, and what he did was ask his vendor to leave a couple of cases for me to buy. Most managers can be very accomidating like that

On a side note, it just got in today. The shipping clerk told me there was 1 box missing from each case htough. Apperently someone there wanted to try it as well. I don't mind in the least, maybe if that someone was a manager type and they like it, the store will start to stock it (Plus I'm sweating trying to afford 2 cases all at once, so that's a bit less). It comes in Chocolate, Vanilla, and Cappachino (I havn't tried the cappachino).
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 10:37
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I personally don't like yogurt that much but love ricotta. 1/3 cup w/ some splenda, cinnamon, vanilla extract and some heavy cream is very much like rice pudding OR 1/3 cup of ricotta w/ heavy cream, splenda and 1/2 tsp of hersheys cocoa is pretty good too!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 08:36
Registered Member

BF:
Default Ladybelle..

lots of great info on the soymilk ...thanks so much ..hard to believe that theres soymilk out there with 1 net carb! I'll be pinching myself as I hold a bottle of it..

Thanks for the brand recommendations...I'll be hunting them down this weekend.

love,
C.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 14:59
Registered Member

Stats: 150/???/120 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 38%

After reading this thread I finally tried the full fat live culture yogurt (Presidents Choice Orgainics) with a tiny bit of splenda and vanilla extract.

I now have a new favourite thing! Yummy
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 15:09

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I love SoySlender!!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 16:43

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I buy organic unsweetened soy milk in the UK which has 0.2 carbs per 100 grams - almost nothing. It's great in tea or coffee and makes a nice shake when sweetened.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 13:09

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i have just started using soy slender. i am making my morning lattes with them. use the chocolate flavor for a mocha...yummy
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 20:07
Registered Member

BF:
Default glad I started this thread

cuz now Im enjoyin a cup of choco milk (soy that is) guilt free!! Ive missed milk so this is just fantastic.

Thank you all!

Unfortunately I didnt find Soy Slender...I had asked the management at this Health Food Store I frequent, if they would be open to ordering it ...and they wont cuz they are above carrying anything that has splenda in it Fine let them lose my business!

I went to Cubs, and I did find the unsweetened West Soy ....and I also found some no calorie no carb choco syrup...

Im gonna try the west soy in some coffee...and also add some vanilla extract and splenda for vanilla milk and see how that tastes. The hunt for Soy Slender goes on..but Im not suffering in the meantime one bit hehe

I cant believe I can have choco milk and get 4 grams of fiber in to boot and only have to count 1 carb!!

I love it when I stumble on lil things like this that make this WOE easy, fun and delish..

Imagine what products will be out there 5 years from now.

Gonna get that coffee latte

hehe
C.

Last edited by bfl_h0ttie : Sat, Aug-23-03 at 20:09.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 21:57
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Be careful if the choco syrup has sugar alcohols. They can have nasty effects on some people, and stall others, while many do just fine. For soy slender, if you can't find it at all, look in the Low Carb products page of this forum, I posted a link to an online store that sells it. $1.99 per box, which is actually cheaper then I get it locally, there is shipping though.

I find mine at Albertson's. If you can't find it in the grocery stores, find one that sells West Soy products. Often times you can put in a special request and they will ask thier vendor to leave some Soy Slender or what ever product for you.

Now why own't a health food store carry splenda products, that seems odd. Do they do stevia and natural sweetners, or are they really big into asperteme?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 05:52

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I found Soy Slendra in Giant Eagle in NE Ohio.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 13:39
Registered Member

BF:
Default Yay!!!

* a cheer resounds around the world*

Went to Albertsons....found SoySlender all 3 flavors....delish

What a great product!

Thanks again all for the info and tipoffs....

love,
C.