Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 13:15

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%
Default What Should I ask my Doctor

Hey guys! I need some help. As some of you know, I am planning to start induction this coming Sunday (I can hardly wait ). Anyhow, I go to see the nurse practioner tommorrow and I wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions on questions I should ask them.

I am on an ACE Inhibitor by the name of Altace which is a blood pressure medicine as well. So, I know I need to ask them about this. But, is there anything else or has anyone else had any experience on Atkins while taking Altace?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 13:21
This is the year

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Ask them to do some preliminary bloodwork for cholesterol and blood sugars. It is a big help to show that this WOE is healthy for you.

Also ask about an exercise program - if it's ok to start one, what's the best one to do, what's the best way to scale up (eg. walk an extra 5 min a day).
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 14:10

Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default Well

Don't expect any useful or helpful info but why fat is bad for you and why the Ada diet is better from the nurse practioner or your doctor. I hope you are surprised, but it is rare. Don't let them discourage you.

I have never mentioned that I lost any weight from Atkins or anything else. I don't want to explain myself, plus, I am paying them, they can treat me as I say, or I can find a doctor who will.

Good luck to you,
wsgts
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 14:37
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I had my liver functions checked as well before I started. But my doctor put me on Atkins, so he knew what to do.

Again, don't be surprised if you get a lot of naysaying. Even though studies are coming out supporting Atkins, these are still pretty new and it takes awhile to over turn established thinking.

I cannot wait for you to start Induction too! Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 16:45

I also need some advise. If they refuse to take me off of my blood pressure medicine, how should I handle it?

Dr. Atkins book makes suggestions on what to take for blood pressure. And, the warning on my blood pressure medicine states not take potassium supplements since it can cause a high level of pottasium in the blood when taking it. However, Dr. Atkins seems to think it is important per his book?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 16:57

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

If they say not to go off the medication, I personally would follow that advice. You will probably want to monitor your blood pressure after you've been on the diet for a bit. Hopefully your doctor will be agreeable and monitor your mkeds.

While taking your BP meds, I would not take potassium - unless your doctor test you specifically for potassium levels in your blood and recommends it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 17:14
Registered Member

Stats: 192/167.2/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Never, ever, go off blood pressure meds unless instructed by a doctor!

As Atkins works for you, and your blood pressure starts to normalize on it's own, your doctor should reduce your meds as required.

I personally didn't tell my doctor what plan I was following. As long as I'm losing weight and exercising he's happy. Hopefully, when he repeats all my tests in 2 months, he'll be so impressed I'll perhaps let the cat out of the bag!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 17:38

Stats: 259/235/170? Female 67 inches (5'7")
BF:
Progress: 14%

My doctor was the one that suggested I try Atkins - so I feel pretty fortunate about that. Had my cholesterol/sugar tested before I started and will go back to follow-up with more bloodwork this fall. My Triclycerides were high, but the rest wasn't "too" bad... (although I'm hoping to make improvements on all counts.) I am still taking my BP medication and will continue to do so until my doctor tells me otherwise. (I have my BP checked at random...have it taken in the medical dept. at work... or at Wal-mart, CVS, etc. It's good to be able to track your pressure over time so you and your doctor can monitor the improvements as you lose). I also can't take potassium, so the only supplement I take right now is a multi-vitamin.
Best of luck to you!! I look forward to going down the path to "Slimville" and improved health with you.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 20:19

Stats: 195/191/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 6%

When I went in for my yearly physical the doctor I saw told me to go on Atkins. She was on it herself. She said it was safe and would not hurt you. She wanted to follow up all my blood work in three months. Then I went in to see our family doctor and talked with him about it and he agreed that it would be fine to go on Atkins and it was perfectly safe. So I feel very good about it and am having good results.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 20:25
Registered Member

Stats: 202.5/177.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default New studies

There are new studies coming out all the time in support of Atkin's diet. Your doctor should be aware of them - at least I would hope so. I'd make sure and ask him/her about it before doing anything. Good Luck to you - it's not a hard diet to follow because once you get a good start, you will losing the cravings for high sugar foods. It's easy to follow when you go out to eat, and I find when we're traveling and want a snack, like everyone else, from a Quicky store, there's always some kind of nuts to eat. Again, good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 12:57

Well, I went to see the nurse practitioner and she was cool about it! She said her husband had just started Atkins and there was a Dr there on Atkins. How cool is that

Anyway, she discussed my medicines with me and told that a little bit of pottassium wouldn't hurt me. However, to keep a watch on it.

Plus, she wrote me a prescription to get a blood pressure monitor. Luckily, we have insurance through both my work and my wife's work. So, I shouldn't have to pay anything for it.

On a good note. All of my lipids, cholesterol, tryglicerides, glucose, and blood pressure are perfect. With the exception of my good cholesterol which was too low. I have been like that my whole liefe though. So, I wonder how Atkins will affect it when I do get to start?

Last edited by RickinTN : Thu, May-29-03 at 14:32.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 13:57
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Now that you have been to see the medical people, why wait until Sunday? Why not start now?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 14:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/181/150
BF:
Progress: 63%

thats what i was wondering. when i decided to start atkins i had to go to the store that very day so i could start the next, got the book and read it the same day too. if you have the foods go ahead and start first thing in the morning and be on your way to weighing less.

good luck whenever you decide to start, i have only been on it a week and so far i love it.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 14:34

Well, the other factor is payday. I don't get paid until Friday and I have to wait until I get the moola to get the food and vitamins. Believe me! I want to get started! I just don't have the veggies I need.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 14:41

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Waiting till payday - the story of my life!

Good luck, I know you will do well.