Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 16:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Thumbs up My doctor's visit

I went to my doctor today and paid $120 for basically the same advise I get here free. He was very pleased with my diet, but had just a few suggestions:

Stop obsessing with weight and measure instead. He suggested I weigh only once a month. He feels that I am losing inches and was very pleased that I felt better and was more mobile and had no pain that I had before. He even said I looked better.

Take my hormone replacement every other day instead of every day.

Eat more protein. He didn't like so much fat, but said he was sure he couldn't convince me to cut it back, so he suggested I eat more protein (up to 200g per day) and get the percentage of fat a little lower.

He said I should eat salmon or tuna 2x a week and add more chicken to what I'm already eating. He also suggested eating more walnuts, but not as many other nuts. (because of the EFAs)

Eat 5 T of flax seeds instead of the 3 I already eat. He didn't like the idea of adding hot water to it. Said I should eat it like cold cereal with soy milk or sprinkle it in salads or just make a soy drink and add flax to that. He suggested the brand SILK organic plain soy milk. He said he finds it tastes the best.

Because of my dairy intolerance, he said I should use a butter substitute called Smart Balance. It is made from a blend of oils and has no trans fats like margarine.

He is sending me for blood work and will also test my thyroid level again to see if that med needs changed.

I asked for my numbers from last June so I would have a comparison and here they are:

Total cholesteral 214
LDL 140
HDL 52
Triglycerides 112

He was pleased with these numbers and wondered why I wanted to have an update. I said I wanted to be able to prove to people that this diet wasn't harmful.

All in all, I came out of there relieved. He said I should be pleased with my progress even though the weight isn't moving. He said that with my exercise, I'm building muscle and that he was sure I've lost in the hips and legs.

Carol
Sponsored Links