Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 15:14

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%
Default "Attack of the Carbezoids"

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/li...the_carbezoids/

Attack of the Carbezoids
By Alex Beam, Globe Columnist | May 20, 2004

A few weeks ago I was in Florida, where I first heard the plaintive cries of the orange growers. The Florida Department of Citrus had just launched a national advertising campaign extolling the virtues of drinking OJ. Why? Because consumption has decreased about 5 percent in the past three years, as a morning glass of juice is a major no-no for the Atkins Diet and South Beach Diet Low-Carbezoids who currently hold sway over the nation's eating habits.

There is an amusing game being played out across the country: Atkins ate my industry. The potato growers have joined their voices in the whiners' choir, as have beer manufacturers. Anheuser-Busch took out full-page ads in 31 newspapers last month, taking issue with the anti-beer claims of the South Beach Diet. Earlier this month, the maker of Ronzoni pasta, likewise proscribed by the 'zoids, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Even the people who make Krispy Kreme doughnuts blamed depressed earnings on low-carb mania, though why anyone -- other than physically overtaxed policemen, that is -- eats doughnuts is beyond me.

With the exception of the doughnuts, what do all these foods have in common? None of them is the least bit bad for you. Sure, too many beers, too many french fries, and 10 servings of orange juice a day make for a bad diet. But it's ironic, to say the least, that Americans are turning away from perfectly healthful food groups just so some quack nutritionists and diet docs can sell books.

Forget for a moment that these diets are not very healthful for you and that in the long run they don't work. In other words, forget that you read in Tuesday's newspaper that "Studies Say Atkins Diet a Short-Term Fix." Forget for a moment that Americans of all ages are becoming more overweight each year. How do Americans respond to the collective "crisis" in national eating habits? Not by changing their behavior, but by consuming more.

It's supply-side consumerism. Instead of quitting smoking, people buy light cigarettes. They delude themselves into thinking they are smoking "less" and end up pretty much where they started. Alcoholics suck down light beers, and now the Carbezoids are creating new products for their gullible public. You've seen low-carb beer, even the low-carb Whopper from Burger King. Now both Tropicana and Minute Maid are feverishly reformulating orange juice to pass muster with the Atkins/

South Beach diet police. They are replacing orange juice's natural fructose with Splenda, an artificial sweetener. You can draw your own conclusions. While I was working on this column, two press releases drifted into my "in" box. Florida-based Bravo! Foods is announcing a "new line of milk products . . . offering fewer carbs, less sugar and more vitamins." One of the novelties is a Moon Pie-flavored, 1 percent milk product. Moon Pie, a Southern delicacy, is a legendary "graham-like cracker, marshmallow covered with chocolate, vanilla, or banana flavors," according to moon

pie.com. The second release came from Perry's Ice Cream Company of Buffalo, hyping a new line of low-carb ice cream. I sent a one word e-mail: "Yuck," to which they were astute enough not to respond.

Here is a brief, true parable. A few months ago, I bumped into an old acquaintance who looked remarkably slimmer than when I had last seen him. In fact, he had lost 18 pounds. Ever the gentleman, I politely asked how he had done it and braced myself for the inevitable, tedious onslaught of Lowcarbo-prop. "You know what?" he replied. "I just decided to stop eating like a pig."

It worked for him. It could work for the rest of us, too.

Oh, give me a break. Will these reporters ever do their research. It just baffles me that they can write about something they really don't understand and get away with it. Where are the editors?!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 15:50

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

Many people eat like "pigs" because it's been hyped into their brains that low-fat, low-calorie, you can eat all you want! Add to that hours of food commercials on tv, and no one has to wonder why we became such a food-obsessed society. We supersize everything, if a little is good, much more is better! More More More! Ever see what people buy at the store, cafeteria, fast food restaurant?

I stood in line at my cafeteria at work today with my big salad, the woman next to me had TWO grilled cheese w/bacon sandwiches, TWO servings of Chips, and a chocolate bar. She had to be upwards of 300lbs, nothing healthy, and I'd be willing to bet she pays lots of visits to the free soda supplied by my company and to the vending machine for more snacks.....

I said it before, companies are freaking out that the low-cal, low-fat crap that's killing us by the millions are not being bought, so they will have a low-carb version of every single item true low-carbers should be staying away from. Mark my words, the store shelves will be so filled with the crap, they'll have to get bigger stores! They also see that many people out for a quick fix will pay ANYTHING for these low-carb products. $6 for 4 pieces of ice cream snack? $8.00 for a 4-pack of low-carb shakes? Unbelievable!

This is an insult to Dr. Atkins, who never would have wanted all this crap food with HIS name on it. He endorsed eating REAL foods, real eggs, meat, cheese, vegetables and some fruits. Not this, not this madness, it's insane............

LL
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 16:08
Registered Member

Plan: 2000 Calorie Low Carb
Stats: 280/228/180 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Alex Beam, Globe Columnist. He's NOT a reporter, but an opinion columnist so absolutely no research or facts are necessary. His column seems designed to get a few laughs and stir some folks up, not disseminate useful information. Yep, we've heard all this kind of crap before .
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 16:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

His email address is this: beam~globe.com
(Replace the ~ with shift-2.)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 09:19

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have workmate and relative how are both looking rather trim lately. Both have attained their weight loss by eating less. From my point of view they are both eating more normal portion sizes, rather then large portions.

I tended to agree with the what he said except for the comment:
Quote:
Forget for a moment that these diets are not very healthful for you and that in the long run they don't work.

It certainly ruffled my feathers.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 10:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/149/150
BF:13
Progress: 105%

Just like to show the face of an ignorant journalist who writes an article with absolutely no research at all

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/nash/s..._forum_beam.jpg