Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 18:14

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Question Kidney Damage

I am tired of being told that I am damaging my kidneys by eating low carb!! I had a friend of my husband tell me last night that no matter how much water I drink I am still damaging my kidneys!! He went on about that I need to be drinking over a two gallons of water a day and running 5 miles a day to keep from damaging my kidneys!!

I just want to know has anyone ever heard or met anyone that has had kidney damage from this diet. I have yet to hear of any stories that relate to this topic.

Thank You!!

Jill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 18:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

NO because no one ever has damaged their previously healthy kidneys. I have seen dr. Atkins on television challenge the medical establishment to present EVEN ONE case where healthy kidneys or liver were damaged by someone's following the Atkins way of eating. NO ONE EVER HAS RESPONDED because there aren't any.

Now this does NOT apply to people who have kidney disease or conditions already. Some people with particular kidney conditions are advised not to eat much protein. But one would already be rather sick and seeing a doctor if such a condition existed.

I did Atkins back inthe 1970's and have now been on it for almost 4 years, since Oct. 1998. Recent blood tests before some surgery showed that I have excellent kidney and liver function. Dr. Atkins, a cardiologist, has been treating his patients with LC way of eating for over 30 years and has yet to see any kidney damage. It just doesn't happen.

This is a link to some pages of medical research about low carbing; http://wilstar.com/lowcarb/research.htm
http://www.lowcarbretreat.com/josh_...lowcarb_med.htm
They include many conditions which are IMPROVED by low carbing.

I am sure that many others will visit here and direct you to other research and studies.

To those 'helpful' people, just say "thank you for looking out for me. I will certainly consider what you say".

And don't worry.

Last edited by tofi : Sun, May-26-02 at 18:59.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 23:56

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

running five miles a day as a cure or prevention for kidney damage? that's a new one on me. I've heard of planting your vegetable seeds at the new moon, though. Which, I gotta tell ya, I trust more than that running cure superstition.

I'm trying to work out the logic of it...and just failing. Is it that he's confusing ketosis with ketoacidosis? And thinks that the ketone bodies we produce are damaging and that if we burn them up with that cardio, we'll be okay????? I'm being kind here, giving him credit for that physiology knowlege. But if that's what he's thinking, that'd be wrong.

Ketosis is a term you could look up in the search function here. Look especially for Doreen's posts on it (or really any administrator's). Humans were designed/evolved to be in ketosis all winter long. It's not a bad thing. It's safe, unless you're a Type I diabetic (who would have never survived childhood in prehistoric times, btw.) It means "fat burning." And it gave me a pleasant high for about 10 days, but nothing worse.

However, yes, he is right about drinking the water! Whenever we lose weight, the burning off of fat is going to create biproducts that we want to get out of the system. Water helps do that.

Drinking water (not tea, not diet cola, not crystal lite, not coffee. water) is good for us for oodles of reasons, but on LC it is indeed at least as important as at other times. Many modern people in industrialized nations are chronically dehydrated. (and chronically deficient in EFAs and EAA's, but that's another post)

IMO, based on the reading I've done, ketogenic LC is worrisome for three groups of people that I can think of: pregnant women, type I diabetics (tho read Dr. Bernstein on this before you make a final decision on that for yourself), and people with pre-existing kidney disease. Doreen or another admin with more medical background could correct me on this.

In addition, high-fat diets (which most LC plans are) can raise cholesterol in 15-25% of the population. The connection between serum cholesterol levels and health, though, is still very theoretical, and it's clearly different for men than for women. And most of us (the 75-85%) get dramatic improvements in our cholesterol on LC.

"Thank you for caring!" is the best response I can think of to these people. If you want to add, "But it's really none of your business, and I'd prefer not to discuss it again," that's also polite, okay to say, and well within your rights. Or if it's a guy, you could give specific details about what it's done to your menstrual period...that should send him out of the room and make the same point.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 00:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Well-said razzle

Benign dietary ketosis is safe for both Type 1 and 2 diabetics. Diabetic ketoacidosis results from uncontrolled high blood sugars, and no insulin for the sugar to be taken into the cells. The body will break down fat to make ketones for fuel, since it can't use the sugar. It's the high sugar that's the problem and what causes the acid condition, not ketones .. which are a result of the problem, not the cause.

A diabetic who is carefully controlling blood sugar with carb-restricted diet and insulin or medication as prescribed by their dr .. will not experience ill effect from ketosis, any more than a non-diabetic low carber.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 05:48

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Ask them what color and type their underwear is or do they pick their nose when no one is watching.

Since they are sticking their nose into your personal life, the least they can do is share some personal information as well.

Seriously though. Razzle and Doreen have said it all. You do not damage your kidneys on this diet. If you did I would be in the hosiptal at this point getting a kidney transplant. My kidneys are just fine thank you! My liver is healthy too.

You could ask just where in the world this person got their information at and tell them politely that if they wish to spread or inform the public that they at least do some research. I mean there are some really idiotic reporters out there.