Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 20:08

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 130/130/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile New to forum, but not WOE!

HI! Obviously, my name is Christine, and I am a carb addict! LOL! As the title states, I am not new to this WOE, but did just find this forum. But, don't let me fool ya: I never hit the WOE as hard as I should have, and that is why I am here. I loosely followed the tenets of Atkins, and lost about 15 pounds in 6 months(135-120) and maintained that for over a year. BUT, I quit smoking, and have now hopefully resolved thyroid issues, and an extra 10 pounds to shake off. I plan on doing so but lowering carbs to around 40-50 while continuing to exercise following BFL. The real leap of faith is the fat! Wish me luck!
As an aside, I am a SAH mommie to 2 beautiful children, a 6 year old DD, and a 2 year old son. I *should* be 90 pounds from chasing them!
I hope to learn a ton form you guys, and hopefully be able to give back some, as well!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 10:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%
Default The real leap of faith is the fat......

Hi Christine

WELCOME to this Forum. In regard to your real leap of faith on fat I will share with you my blood test results after 10 weeks of lc'ng and eating lots of fat. This will tell you NOT TO WORRY.

SEPTEMBER 30, 2002 (Before Atkins)

Cholesterol 199
Triglycerides 188
HDL (Good) 70
LDL (Bad) 99
Chol/HDL Ratio 2.84

MARCH 5, 2003 (After 10 weeks on Atkins)

Cholesterol 182
Triglycerides 99
HDL (Good) 77
LDL (Bad) 89
Chol/HDL Ratio 2.36

EXPECTED VALUES

Cholesterol 100-200
Triglycerides 0-100
HDL 50-60
LDL 0-129

Good luck to you

Rose
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 12:45

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 130/130/120
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi, Rose! Thanks for the welcome!
Thanks for sharing your labs with me. That does make me feel better. I just had some labs returned last week that looked good to, but that's when I was sort of half on half off the plan(OK, I wasn't eating all the fat, because I was scared!)
Best of luck to you in your WOE!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 07:53

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

Hi Christine:

Glad you got some good numbers too. When I think back to before low carbing I'll bet I was eating more fat than I am now. And with taking in way more carbs, the fat was being stored on my body...now it is being used up for energy.

Rose
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 15:38

Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

I increased my fat intake in addition to losing the carbs. I have consistantly eaten between 65 and 75% fats, and my labs weren't followed well before diet. 4 years before diet TOTAL was 166, after 8 weeks on diet I was at 186 (not sure about in between but I had gained 20 pounds in the 4 years in between and doubt my reading was still 166 at start of diet). My HDL raised, and my LDL lowered. not enough detail for any medical publication, here, but take it as truth that the effects are to the better.