Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 16:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/325/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question 10 to 12x your body weight in calories? YIKES!

Hi!

I'm fairly new to Atkins, been doing it for about one full week. I've done a lot of reading and research, and had extensive conversations with friends who it has worked for. I've struggled with being overweight since I was about 10 years old. When I was about 13, I went to a dietition and he put me on a diet similar to atkins. Amazingly, I had lost 15 pounds in about a week. For some reason, and I really don't remember what, I stopped doing it. Anyway, I'm certain this has been my problem all along, and now 13 years later, I'm determined to make this work for me and change my life.

First off, I am seriously overweight. It's really to the point that I have a lot of trouble exercising because I get tired so quickly, howerver I do try to walk for about 15 minutes every day... and plan to gradually increase that as the weight comes off.

I just have a couple concerns. First, I've read a lot of posts in this forum and elsewhere saying I should be eating 10 to 12x my body weight in calories. The problem with that is that since I've started, I have almost no appetite. Even thinking about food makes me cringe lately, and I can't imagine forcing myself to eat that much. I'm concerned that the lack of calories I'm eating now will cause me to stop losing weight, which I of course don't want.

I've been drinking Atkins shakes for breakfast because I have no time in the morning to cook, usually have some sort of meat (turkey, chicken, beef) for lunch, usually with cheese and a small salad. I'm having to force food in for dinner, which I hate. The last few days I've only been able to eat a couple slices of cheese and maybe some tuna fish. I'm usually only getting 10 - 15g of carbs per day, and maybe 1200 - 1500 calories.

I thought at first maybe I just didn't have an appetite because I wasn't wanting to eat the foods that were ok, but even when I think about eating those high carb foods I used to stuff myself with, NOTHING sounds good.

Is this something I can expect to pass? Should I be forcing myself to eat more even though I feel like it'll make me sick?

I really appreciate any feedback anyone can offer. I apologize in advance if this has already been covered in another post, but there are a lot of them to search through
Sponsored Links