Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 08:09

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default a thought and question.

Has anyone thought of losing their weight on atkins, and then for maintenance doing another program which is more flexible e.g. PP (although haven't read any other lowcarb program). ??
I'm not sure if this would work? I like the idea of the zone, since it seems balanced, but i do think it's too much calculations..LOL

also, is anyone feeling like they have *too* much energy? i sometimes feel like i'm burning up alot.. even at night i'm somewhat sweating and too hot(the weather is not that hot here compared to other places..)... i usually end up waking in the middle of the night to drink more water.. (i am drinking enough water on an average basis although some days i drink a little less but i do think i make a minimum of 64oz).
It's almost like having hot flashes although i'm too young, and not sure what they are exactly but they sound right lol.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 09:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/166/145
BF:
Progress: 73%

Actually, I am experiencing the exact opposite! I am cold all of the time and have absolutely no energy! I have trouble getting out of bed to go to work let alone go to the gym! The weight is still coming off. I heard somewhere that being cold is a sign of a slow metabolism but if that is the case, I wouldnt be losing weight! I would give anything for some extra energy!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 09:41

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default thyroid problem?

Christine,

Just a suggestion-- but have you ever had your thyroid function tested? Being chronically cold is often a symptom of a low-functioning thyroid. Also, so is low energy. Of course those symptoms may be caused by many other things, too, so I don't want you to think you are NECESSARILY low thyroid, but I'll just throw the idea out in case you want to talk to your doctor. I recently learned I had a low functioning thyroid and have been treated with extra hormone and am feeling better. It can sometimes be hard to find a doctor who will take your symptoms seriously as being due to low thyroid, but in my opinion, any doctor who is not willing to at least TEST you for those symptoms should be dumped in favor of a more open-minded doctor. You deserve to know what your situation is. Check out some of the excellent info on the Web, and good luck.

Missydog
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 12:06
Pending Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 186/150/135
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Burning like a furnace

Yep, I have these moments of real burn. I'm not like heat hot, not sweating... but I can feel the internal furnace just heating away.

Night sweats - yeah, I have those every now and then. However, I'm 44 and could be getting to that edge in life.... But these night sweats aren't like the ones people in menopause describe. Again, it's that furnace burning type thing, and the sweats are on just certain parts of my body. And I'm not irritable; just get up, dry off with a towel, and back dead asleep I go!

And energy - boy, the first five weeks or so I had BOUNDLESS energy. I almost couldn't keep still! That has slacked some, but I'm still more energetic than when I ate carbs. And I've gone through slumps when I could just fall dead asleep at my desk at work. But those slumps don't last but a couple of days, well, for me anyway.

I'm now finding by body doesn't need so much sleep at night. I was always a 7-8 hour person. Now I'm wide awake and feeling better with 6, sometimes 5.

Shirley
Florida
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 12:57

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

Well, i sort of fluctuate between cold and hot.. but Shirley's experience sounds familiar..i suddenly burn up out of nowhere.. then again i had this 'condition' prior to LC but i was curious if perhaps LCing makes it more intense.. i especially (this is weird) get these hot flashes during winter... i remember one time in highschool, in the dead of winter (not snow but still quite cold) i suddenly burned up (for about a minute) but had to take off my sweater/coat b.c i was burning and let the cold air cool me~ my then best friend thought that was strange b/c she was shivering lol.. then it goes away and i feel fine
I used to get so tired midafternoon and early evening when i used to eat carbs..a severe earthquake would have to move me lol.. i don't get that way anymore, thankgod.
The only time i am tired/no energy..is when i don't get enough sleep (less than 7) for several days.