Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 08:07

Plan: Atkins and Protein Power
Stats: 228/228/205
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Low Carb Bars

What's everyone's take on low carb bars? I see many of the bars out there have glycerin which is apparently negligible on blood sugar, like fiber, and is ok to consume without counting it toward your total carb count for the day. At least this is what I read through Dr. Atkins (it's his carb bars I'm referring to). A low carb bar may have 10 carbs, 8 of which are glycerin and according to Dr. Atkins, only 2 carbs have to be counted toward your carb count for the day. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 08:34

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Try using the search feature on this forum located above the orange bar.

Search for "low carb bars" and see what you get. There are hundreds of threads on this site covering the information you are asking for.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 08:39

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%

I personally think they taste like Hyena Crap. I never could stomach the bars (on the other hand my wife likes them..although she almost vomitted after eating Atkin's "signature chocolate" bar).

Also, I heard that many many people stall after eating a bar or drinking a shake during the induction phase, so if you are in induction I would wait before eating them.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 09:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/164/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default no bars on induction

I personally like Atkin's "new and improved" bars. But they made me stall on induction. I'm redoing induction as a result. So, I'd say wait until after induction before having the bars. During my second week of induction I would have one bar a day (and I did not lose any weight and was out of ketosis; after my first week, without any bars I lost 6lbs). Maybe if I had only a bite of a bar a day it wouldn't have stalled me. But after reading posts on this subject, i've decided to hold off until after induction.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 14:51

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

Atkins low-carb bars stalled the wife and I big time. I would still be stalled if it were not for the info on this message board. I was eating one a day as a mid morning snack and ever since I replaced the bar with a low carb(2.5g) protein powder shake I have started losing approximately 2lbs a week. That is the only thing I changed.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 16:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/164/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default protien shake

out of curiousity, which protien shake are you drinking?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 16:48

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

I'm using EAS Simply Protein or their Whey Isolate both in chocolate. Just ad 6oz of water and shake for a quick protein fix(20g protein and 2.5g carbs). My wife likes to add a tablespoon of peanut butter to her shake for that chocolate/peanut butter taste. She also mixes the vanilla flavor with decafe coffee for her on the go breakfast.