Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 19:12

Plan: custom, based on scientific knowledge and Atkins principles
Stats: 185/155/160
BF:
Progress: 120%
Smile my Story, and muscle questions!

hey =) I've been LCing since late summer last year, the truth is that I have never had a problem with my weight, but I wanted to try the plan out of curiosity ...

I'm 6' tall, male, with a large frame. before I started the plan I was about 185, but I work on computers all day with little or no exercise. I'm sure the little excess weight would have been easy enough to lose by simply excerting myself more (and eating better), but as it happened LCing was the kick I needed to look after myself a lot better

I stuck to the plan entirely, also switched from drinking diet coke to just Water, might sound boring and unnecessary but I was facinated by it... it struck a cord with me; about what our ancestors ate, diabetes and other problems in modern cultures

the excess fat practically fell off, I had more energy, the condition of my skin improved, the feeling of being "always a little bit hungry" disapeared, and I fell in love with being in control .. of my weight and my health

now quite a few months down the line, I'm actually completely happy with the diet. really I know that I could go back to eating anything and not stuggle with my weight, but I really am happy with it, with the control and knowing its doing me good .. until there is evidence that it might be doing me some harm, I'm sticking with it =) but I do have a couple questions ...

at the moment, my only significant carbo intake is white bread, of which I have 2-3 slices per day ... I've read in some of the other "plans" that grains should be avoided, and of course processed carbos in general are apparently not such a good idea ... should I limit or eliminate my consumption of bread?

my weight is a bit low these days, I'm stable at a little under 11 stone (154lbs) which according to the charts is underweight for someone of my stature (6' tall, large frame) ... BUT, I have done muscle building training for quite a while now, and at the risk of bragging I have a good solid figure and decent muscle size, and I certainly dont look underweight .. are my scales off ? or does it vary so much between people that its not that big a deal?

MAIN QUESTION =)
continuing on the muscle thread .. now that I have very little body fat, and a decent muscle tone/size, I am in the process of actual body-building ... does anyone have any comments / tips / info on doing this while low carbing ? I am gaining a lot of strength, but so far my body weight has only crept up a couple pounds

is there anyone with some experience / wisdom with this ? =) I dont know 'that' much about LCing, and I certainly dont know much about bodybuilding, so please please any info would be a great help ....

thanks again, and good luck to everyone =) I can say 100% that as long as you are serious about sticking with it, LCing WILL work for you, reguardless if you just want to lose a little weight, or a lot

Kris
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 19:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Kris, and well done!

Check out our CKD forum, as it sounds like something that would suit your situation. Look for posts by TrainerDan.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 20:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hello

I just wanted to comment on the grain issue. There are some plans that dont recommend eating any grains at all. I Have oatmeal- flax cereal 2 mornings a week and will be making some low-carb muffins soon. I personally think a limited amount of grains is good for a person ...HOWEVER..U said U eat white bread? Refined flours like that arent particularly good for U and a waste of carb use when U could be having other low-carb breads that contain more fiber.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 03:06

Plan: custom, based on scientific knowledge and Atkins principles
Stats: 185/155/160
BF:
Progress: 120%

thanks a lot, for both comments =) I've been reading into the CKD forums and it definately looks interesting, it sounds like it would suit me perfectly ... my one concern would be the "protein releasing" phase of entering Ketosis, ie. doing that once a week, but I guess if Dan is doing it (and with obvious success) it isnt a concern

as for the Bread, yeah you're right ... I havent really looked into alternatives at all so far; its only been the last few weeks I've started eating breads again (having my eggs on a piece of toast with my breakfast, for example), and I just never gave much thought to alternatives ..... next time I go shopping I'll have to check around, sure there's a bit better way of doing it =)

Kris