Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 14:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/272/151
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Yeast Issues?

I was just wondering if anyone else is having yeast problems? I began having symptoms in early December (pre-Atkins). I am not talking about the typical vaginal yeast infections although that was my first symptom (minus discharge). I have had spots appear all over my body. I feel like I was "Taken" to an alien ship and examined and have their finger marks all over me. I get itchy and if I scratch, even mildly, I end up with a spot. I have been on Diflucan 3 different times and Sporanox 200 mg for 7 days and the beast is coming back yet again. I respond to the meds, but it keeps returning. I am in the process of doing a special collection to send off to a lab for analysis of what my gut is doing. I will be done tomorrow. I can't take any meds for yeast or my gut during this time. Whoopee!

Anyway, Dr. Atkins mentions Yeast in his book and I thought I would post and see just how common this is for Atkins people. It is my belief that my yeast issues likely go back 40 years, but this is the first time that I am behaving in a very active way with it. I have just had many other gut related issues over the years. It is also my belief that the reason why this surfaced (quite literally) now is because of the stress of a unpleasant situation with my sister began last July. I have always been one to stuff my feelings and am now paying the price. The gut rebelled.

Anyway, I will be anxious for results from my test so that I can treat this with the proper medication and supplements. This is certainly messing with my head as far as I am frustrated with it and the itching that accompanies it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 15:48

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Post You're not alone!!

I had a problem w/yeast buildup about 2 mos. after I started this WOL. I found all kinds of different ideas as to how to remedy the situation. I decided to take Acidophilus- available at most (if not all) health food stores and some general pharmacies stock the dry capsules. Anyhoo, I took them for a few weeks or so, as well as cut back on cheese & mushroom intake, and my symptoms went away. Granted, it got worse before it got better, but heck, it's gone. I had the pleasure of this lovely devil coming out in the form of skin rashes/irritations that nothing- benadryl, cortizone or calamine- would take care of. I couldn't sleep through the night or sit still I was soooo itchy. I had the 'spots' too. Truly a strange happening.

Hang in there, things will get better.

Nikki
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 23:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 298/265/145
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Sandra -

I agree - you're NOT alone! There's a section of this Forum devoted to Candida - you might want to visit - like here, lots of information & support.

I too am presently suffering the raging itch, itch, itch. My spots don't seem alien but I am reminded - we really only have four ways to discharge toxins from our body (breath/lungs, skin, kidneys, and the other elimination). The anxiety and fatigue parts of the "die-off" are actually tormenting me more than the itch right now. Could your "head messing" be partly from the yeast imbalance itself?

It seems that coming off the sugar & carbs can unmask/bring forward problem(s) that might have been hidden...

I recall you mentioning a good/ broad-minded doc. I presume your testing is through him/her?

Though certain supplements are mentioned/used by many, it's important to find what works for you. And it seems that low-carbing is the most important solution of all.

Good Luck & don't give up - our systems are complex, AND when my brain is clear, I KNOW our bodies can heal.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 11:37
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, I have a great new MD who specializes in FMS, CFS, Yeast, Weight, etc. I also have an endocrinologist who does blood tests quarterly on me (I am diabetic). Thanks for the info about the Candida board - I will look for it.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 16:21

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

Sandra,

I'm in the opposite boat, sort of, as the body rash I'd had for YEARS immediately began to clear up when I started Atkins. Must be the absence of sugar. And this is after 2 dermatologists shrugged their shoulders and suggested I change my laundry detergent (I did - nothing happened) and then prescribed me a cream that cost $45.00 even WITH insurance (useless stinky stuff!).

Anyway, I wanted to recommend to you a capsule available in health food stores and co-ops. It's called Olive Leaf Extract, and there are several brands available. It has been shown to be very effective in treating <I>Candida</I>-related ailments. Taken together with acidopholus, it can really put the whammy on the yeast!

Lo
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 19:37
Registered Member

BF:

I have heard of that. Also of Oil of Oregano, but it upsets my GERD problem. I just started a really good quality of acidophillus product yesterday a.m. that my new doctor wanted me on and am back on my RX for a while. I had to wait until I had collected my specimans before I could do either. Talk about misery.

Many things have really improved since I began Atkins. I had a most stressful few months with my sister and I believe that is what caused the eruption to the surface. I also believe I have had this a long time, but nothing triggered it to show itself in its present form. I feel pretty lousy today and attitribute that to "die off" perhaps. My itching is settling.

I am also eliminating any cheese in my diet, obviously the high carb stuff since I do Atkins, and am looking up info on other things that I may need to eliminate. I have some books on order that should arrive early next week.

I do expect to one day be a new person.