Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 10:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default I am getting really discouraged!

I am losing SO SLOW, and wonder if I am doing something wrong. Smurfy mentioned calorie intake. Mine has been on average 11-1200 per day. My carbs are right on track....have not had more than 25 in 2 weeks...but I am just not losing! I don't have a good scale...mine gives 3 different readings in a row....I'd like to think it is the lowest of course!!! Am going to go buy a new one today. I can tell a little weight has been lost by my face and arms....but this GUT is not going away!!!
I am eating plenty of veggies, and drinking TONS of water....WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 11:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: I am getting really discouraged!

Quote:
Originally posted by kmwebb1967
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????
Other than perhaps not eating enough to sustain fat loss over the long haul, NOTHING.

Kim, this is a process - it takes time. It's not going to happen overnight. I know we'd all like for that to happen, but slower is better. Losing fat isn't the hard part - keeping it off is. Take the time to learn your new WOL inside and out, so that when you do lose the fat you'll have learned how to keep it off.

In the meantime, do a little searching / reading on BMR (basal metabolic rate) and check out the Newbies' Questions forum for a thread called "Hot Links!". Knowledge is power, arm yourself!!!

Instead of a new scale why not get a measuring tape? It would be more accurate in the long run, less expensive in the short term and maybe less stressful on you?

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 12:01

BF:

Thanks Nat...I will take your advice!!! Wish me luck!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 13:13

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Try to each 10 - 12 x your body weight in calories - if you can't face the extra food, use butter, dressing (watch the carbs though), olive oil, mayo, etc. 1200 isn't enough for fat loss.

Good luck
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 13:18

BF:
Default vbrowne

Thanks...but is there such a thing as TOO MUCH FAT???? I guess it is hard because that goes agianst evrything ever thought about dieting. WHat is YOUR typical day like???
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 13:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Kim, I noticed from your profile that you're doing Atkins as your plan but you haven't listed the Dr.s book among "LC Books you've read" You really should get a copy and read it cover to cover.

You'll find the answer to many questions in the book, and the answer to many you didn't know you had.

Fat is not the enemy. Fat will not make you fat in the absence of insulin. Fat tastes good and it is satiating, and quite frankly, there's only so much of it you can eat at one sitting. Try it - bet you can't get through a stick of butter

Again, I suggest the thread in the Newbies' Questions forum, "Hot Links!" - you'll find lins to past disucssions on subjects like eating fat to keep calories up, what to do about keto breath, what's up with labels and why you need to learn to read them and all the other things that come up the first few weeks of LCing.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 13:30

BF:
Default Thanks Nat

I have just purchased Dr. Atkins newest book and am planning on beginning it tonight.
I have checked out several of the links you suggested and find them informative.
I guess since I don't really have a support system at HOME...it is just making me feel like I am not doing what I should be doing. The only support I get is from all of you Monday through Friday while I am here at work.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 14:57

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%
Default kmwebb1967

Each day I average between 60 - 70% fat. You should try using fitday.com also as a tool to track your food. Have a great weekend.

Vikki
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 15:02

BF:

I have been using fitday....a great tool. It just seemed to me that 60% plus is such a high number!!! Like I said...I am trying to get away from the mindset I have been taught about eating lowfat.
I REALLY appreciate all of the information you have been giving me. I think I am going to be able to stick with this and reach my goal!
But you know...I STILL wish I cold wiggle my nose and make it BE GONE!!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 15:27

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by kmwebb1967
I STILL wish I cold wiggle my nose and make it BE GONE!!!

Hee hee, don't we all???? Then again, if I could do that I'd probably never have started low carbing and done all the research on what WOE is best for my health in the long run and learned all the great information I have, so this storm cloud does have a silver lining after all.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 23:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hi...

I was also very afraid of getting my fat intake up to 65-70% after being on a very low fat diet for so long...trying to lose weight!! Ha, ha...now I can tell you, I'm convinced. The food pyramid is completely upside down...forget about it, you will not get sick, you'll get healthier.

Your carbs should come from nutritious veggies as much as possible, and with TONS of water every day and good supplements, you'll be in better shape than ever.

Also, you seem to be losing pretty well! So you're not doing anything wrong...but every time you scramble some eggs, put that butter in the pan...olive oil on your salads, niceoily fish for dinner...yummy!

Your calories will be up there, and your percentages will be more effective for better fat loss. Good luck...keep up the good job!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 23:18

Stats: 305.0/234.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Your heading in the right direction

Hey just remember that it took a lot of years to pack the pounds on. It is going to take some time to take it off. Just keep up the good work, read the book & drink your water ( lots of it) Your headed in the right direction and thats all that matters! right?

You can do it
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 08:11

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thank you all for the advice....I DID happen to lose another pound over the weekend!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 11:53
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Good for you!!

Remember, for most of us the pattern is up one, down two, up a half, down one...etc.

No matter what kind of scale you have, that pattern is perfectly normal...water, hormones, TOM, salt intake, etc.

Don't give one pound any of your energy!!

#15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 11:56

BF:
Default DDMariana

How is the world have you given up pasta being Italian???? My mother says it is kiling her not being able to have her angel hair!!!