Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 23:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default How many "disciples" do you have?

I started on Atkins in September 2003, and it took until November before people began to notice. I didn't advertise it, or talk about it. But when asked, I told people what I was doing. By the end of March, I'd lost 60 pounds, and I'm creeping toward 70 (which I probably won't hit till June at this rate).

People noticed bigtime after 50 pounds. So, at my office, no less than half a dozen people have jumped on the wagon. One of my perverse little pleasures was when I realized that I wasn't the heaviest person I knew anymore; not the heaviest person in the company anymore; not even the heaviest person in the branch office anymore (I'm still 2nd place).

Anyway, of those who have jumped in, only a couple really needed it. One is a guy who is 6'7" tall and is now about 30 pounds heavier than I am. It's no victory to be smaller than he is, since he should outweigh me, but dammit it's been so long since I was lighter than anybody.

Another, who is also a very big guy, has lost more than 70 pounds. He's in our Dallas office and we talk about it all the time. We're both amazed.

Another is a rail-thin guy who is convinced he's overweight.

Another is a woman in our office who can't be bothered to read the book. She went on "low carb" but still eats oatmeal and a banana every morning, and has lost no weight.

My mother also went on it, and has lost very little because she cheats often. She still likes it because she isn't gaining any weight despite working out daily.

My brother, who isn't fat at all, got on it to help with his weight training. Loves it, although he isn't very dedicated.

Anyway, it seems to me that this way of eating is very viral in terms of the way it spreads. It didn't have a low fat industry or food company interests pushing it until very recently. It's been a very quiet revolution. I feel good about every one of those people who I helped get onto this way of eating, and even if I retake the crown of heaviest person in the company, I won't feel too bad. It's a case of doing good by doing well, and I'd bet that any TDCer who has lost significant weight has spawned many others who might have a chance at a better life just by your examples.

Scott
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 05:43
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Yes, Scott,

I too have seen ripple effects -- my SIL bunks who is on the forum is a disciple and there are three more that I am aware of who are following this WOE because of me. Two of them are at work and are ex-WW people. I haven't checked with one of them for a few days and she's now on vacation but last time I checked, she was having trouble and was ready to pack it in. She was still feeling yukky after 3 or 4 weeks.

But yes, it's great that this is a WOE that does not require anything other than a book and a desire to be normal!

And oh -- support from the forum is a great incentive too!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 06:27

Plan: LC Lifestyles Plan
Stats: 333/240/190 Male 6'0"
BF:31.5%/26.95%/8%
Progress: 65%

Great question!

I have had six people start on it, not including my wife and son.

My Oldest sister is doing it and has lost 23 pounds in 38 days. She is very excited this time and is going to go all the way down.

My next oldest sister is convinced she needs to lose 7 pounds (she is 6'2" tall and weighs 150) and has lost 1 pound

My little sister wants to shed some pounds before a wedding she is going to be in and is on her second week of induction now.

A good friend and business partner has lost 26 pounds.

Another friend is on the second week of induction and has lost 8 lbs in the first week

An associate switched from the low fat to low carb and is doing much better on her loss now.

IMHO - anything that adds value to people's lives will spread in this manner - and it's our job to share it with people.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 10:00

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

I haven't really counted so far... But people ask me about it all the time. I know people at work started on it after they heard about me. And at restaurants waiters and waitresses ask me all the time how I do it. I've had several people sit down at our table while they were working so I could explain it to them. When people start to hear about the results, their minds change from the current "low-carb is bad for you" mentality that's being projected in the media.

If I hear that it's bad for my kidneys one more time... AHHH
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 10:05

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

My daughter, mother, sister, and a friend have all started since I started losing. My daughter and I are the only ones still on it.

DD is rabid about it, almost possessive and doesn't like when others go on it because she thinks of it as "hers". She does spread the word though when people ask. She looks fantastic and is maintaining for the past 6 months.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 11:50
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Great thread! The ones that I know of for sure are my best friend, my daughter, my sister-in-law, an office friend, and my ex-husband.

Liz
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 12:02
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Reminds me of the Clairol ad (ummmm a big number of years ago) .. she told two friends and they told two friends and....
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 12:14
Busty McChacha

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/246.6/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

i must not be a good word of mouther. when i tell people what i am doing i get a skeptical look that says "you wont lose any weight doing that". I just nod and smile. They dont know that I am already down 80 pounds. wahooo!!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:52

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I have NO followers...but many ppl in my family ask me a MILLION questions about it, what I eat etc etc all the time..every time I see them or they see pictures of me... I look VERY different now... I get ppl asking me all the time why my sister and mom dont get on Atkins... geesh! well..I dont know but my sister has managed to gain 10 pounds or more on Weight Watchers so far and my mom is losing but very slowly..I think she will convert eventually but I am not sure... she says when I go under 200 she will be seriously thinking about it...that's SOON.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:10
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

None. I get nice compliments from people, but I can't think of a single one who needs to lose any weight. In fact, I can think of 3 who need to gain weight.

Whoops, forgot one guy who should take off some pounds, and he got very excited when I first started lc. But the only thing he was willing to do was eat s/f candy and cake while still eating everything else. He just never figured it out.

Of course, I do know a few folks very casually who would benefit from losing a few, but I must not be very inspirational. Or they don't know what I'm doing.

Kay
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

So far...One co-worker (who then got at least a couple more on the bandwagon), my DH, my SIL, my kids and a couple of people from my church.
I wouldn't exactly call them disciples or converts, just people who noticed how well I was doing and decided to try it for themselves once they asked me and got some details.
When someone asks me, I'm more than willing to explain it, encourage them to pick a plan then get the book and read it before jumping in uninformed.
I've also cautioned a few that you can't do this halfway and expect decent results. In fact, doing low carb half-heartedly (lots of cheats, still eating higher carb and higher fat with just cutting out a few token carbs here and there, etc...) is likely to give a worsened cardiac profile than if they had stuck with what they were doing in the first place, not to mention leave them with the impression that low carb doesn't work or is bad for you.
Of course, what people decide to do is their own business, but at least they couldn't say that they hadn't been warned.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:35
TeaQueen

Plan: My own verson of Atkins
Stats: 311/294/120 Female 5' 1
BF:
Progress: 9%

Nobody that I know of. Although I have lots of folks who encourage and snipe.

I guess there is one person who says I am her inspiration, and she started south beach, but hasn't stuck with it.

There is a lady who came in who brought me a russel stover sugar free bar who's lost like 65 pounds in the last 3 years. Well, I should have NEVER eaten that thing. Now I am stalling like mad, cause I didn't know there were things like that out there. LOL so I was pure!
It is interesting that she's off of it and I am still going.
I am sure there may be more at some point. Great thread
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 08:12
Registered Member

Stats: 323/248/238 Male 193 cm
BF:BMI=30.2
Progress: 88%

Hee .. good thread.

My father swiftly followed me onto Atkins .. and has lost 42lbs and is zeroing in on his target. My sister who's getting married next month switched from WW after seeing our success and now fits her dress like a catalogue model. My co-workers have all switched to low-carb healthier options as a result of our conversations together .. and all are reporting significant improvements in their mind and body: e.g. no more mid-afternoon 'brain-fog'.

The dissenters in my 'circle' have banned all 'Atkins' discussions from their presence. So preaching this 'gospel' has 'ruffled a few'.

I was in a restaurant t'other day and got a lecture from a very, very over-weight waitress about how I was gonna drop down dead with this Atkins 'fad' .. a conversation that manifested itself after I'd turned down the 'with chips' option and chose broccali to accompany my steak instead. I was on the point of delivering the 'facts' of low-carb ... when I came to the conclusion that such an 'attitude' didn't deserve receiving such life changing advice.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 13:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

We have a lot in our office who have jumped on the low carb wagon - after seeing our results, and how we eat and excersize, I guess they have decided it isn't all bad. I am doing this for me though, and I think it is terrific if people want to do it as well.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 14:21

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

We're getting more and more interest, as we're moving towards our goal. Not only for this WOL, but involving exercise too! It seems to be helping motivate some others. A friend of mine has also started LCing, and I'm so thrilled.

Of course, I was influenced by another friend to try this because of his success, so the cycle continues!

Quote:
Reminds me of the Clairol ad (ummmm a big number of years ago) .. she told two friends and they told two friends and....

You're so right, hummelda!