Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 06:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 369/303/220 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Low Carb is like a war not a battle

Hi All,
Yep I'm Still creeping about, I post on here off an on and have not given up on the war on carbs. The biggest thing that gets in my way is the cost and social commitments. I went through the last month of last year during the holidays totally off of the LC lifestyle, and it hurt. Crept back up into the 330's by the end of December, my clothes didn't fit again and I got depressed when money got tight so I couldn't depend on going full Low Carb so I didn't do any at all, couldn't see the point of just sort of doing it.

Then in January I tried again, but again some weeks I was okay for three days, then blow it for two. This is the way it has been since. Every week I was good to stick to the diet four of the seven days, Or I would eat low carb all day and blow it at supper. I limped this way through January, February and all of March. With good intentions, but alas I couldn't hold it. IF it wasn't money it was Lent, (when You can't eat meat or carbs, there is only so much fish to eat) but I never gave up the war though. I still stuck to my Low Carb opinion.

What I mean by that is, I still bought only Low carb bread, Low carb Peanut butter, avoided heavy sugar drinks as a rule in the house. Which seems silly considering that I would be eating a pint of Ben and Gerry when I just had a low carb sandwich for lunch. But yet next week there I was in line with another LC loaf of bread. (like I was fooling myself)

Because I wasn't following LC tightly, I was afraid to watch my weight, I didn't think it was going up anymore (because of the so so carbing, at least not much) but I wasn't sure and didn't want to see. Then Lent ended and I dived back in again, (all those Low Carb commercial help LOL, its encouragement) and this time my wife decided to join me which helps allot.

So I stepped on the scale with one eye open, told myself no matter what I am, I will work down from there. Low and behold I was down to 316. Somehow loosing those battle didn't add up to loosing the war, somehow all those times I did manage to stick to LC diet had payed off and I didn't even realize it. Though I am not down to my previous low of 308, I am not far from it and as I start at this anew it won't be long.

So you can win the war even if you loose a few of the battles, and to me that’s encouraging.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 07:48
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

*nods* A very good way of looking at it. As long as we keep fighting and don't go into full on retreat... eventually we WILL win the war.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 08:07

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

I agree about losing the battles but winning the war. We have so many things that we can't eat but have loved eating in the past.

Even a reduction in the amount of carbs that we eat helps reduce the weight. Also think about the lbs your not continuing to put on. Another truimph.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 08:23

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Great perspective Dave! It really is a way of life and in that there will be ups and downs. It's just a matter of how long you go between skirmishes that matter!

Good for you on sticking with lower carb products. Even though my daughter isn't eating low carb, just by cutting back a bit here and there she's lost some weight. So anything we can do to cut back on the carbs is a help.

In addition, any exercise we can do is also going to help. So just because we don't have a "real" exercise routine that we go through 3-4 days a week, taking a walk or simply moving around more will help fight the battle too.

I will say, though, that the battle becomes much easier sticking with it 7 days per week. Fighting those carb cravings is not easy!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 09:19

Stats: 290/230/130 Female 65 inches
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 38%

You talked about the cost of LC'ing. I am not sure where you live but in our area we have the 99cent stores which have a refrigerated sections stocked with sausage and cold cut meats (no joke), eggs, butter, etc. Sometimes, they even have heavy whipping cream and hard cheese. It certainly makes the plan overly affordable and liveable!!!!

Persistance pays off and it's over the long haul. I am just glad you're here!!!

Charlie Girl