Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 20:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%
Default What is going on?

I have been exercising for about 6 weeks now. I was just loving it, up until about 2 days ago. The last couple of days I find myself fighting to get out there. The lazy side says "Oh just skip today, no one will notice"...The other side says " Get your butt moving". I have been going, but I sure don't feel like it.

Is this normal...have others experienced this too? Will I get back to wanting to go? And how long will this last?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 22:32
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Well, sure, we all go through that I think. It's important to have a variety of exercise choices so that you don't get bored. It may be that you don't feel like getting out in the heat today. Fine! Stick an exercise tape in the VCR! Or put your favorite soaps on and lift a few weights or heck, just high-step in place for 30 minutes until the show's over! Instead of going every day, go a little farther (higher, faster) every other day instead. Remember that ANY activity is better than sittin' on the couch!

Could it be a problem with your energy level? Are you taking your supplements.... potassium....and especially adequate water?

I do hope that helps....'cause you're doing so well. Go easy on yourself and celebrate the things you DO accomplish....that's just as important, if not more so!

You've been a great asset to the board (yes, I've been watching!) and I'm so glad you're here with us! Thanks for sharing yourself and the kind support you've given to so many.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 09:01

Thanks for replying Teri...

Yes I am taking my supplements...and getting plenty of water. I guess I just had a couple of off days.

Feeling better today, and looking forward to my hike...going to a different place today...for a change of scenery (sp). I don't really feel ready to go to a gym for weight lifting...and hate arobics...that's why I hike...if the weather was better I would swim...but it isn't too warm today...but I get the idea...mix it up...have fun with it...I will try next time I feel this way...Thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 09:40
Registered Member

Plan: ProteinPower/Body-for-Life
Stats: 215/181.5/130
BF:47%/38%/18%
Progress: 39%
Default Hi!

I've tried starting several different exercise regimens several different times during the past year. I'd start out really positive and gung-ho and I'd work to get a bit better--go a bit farther or longer--each day, and then "fall off the wagon" and end up feeling guilty and giving up on the whole thing.

I'd thought it was just because I hated exercise. Well, then one of my friends bought me the Body-for-Life book and I discovered two things there: 1.) It wasn't exercise that I didn't like, it was the "more time spent exercising is better" concept that didn't work for me; 2.) I actually REALLY like exercise, I just hadn't ever worked out intensely enough before to produce the endorphin rush. Seriously, I'd thought the endorphin "rush" was a myth.

Anywho, I'm now on Week 5/Day 4 of my new excercise program and I haven't missed a single day (except for every Sunday, which is my "official" day off) and, the surprising part is, I haven't WANTED TO miss a day of exercise. I look forward to getting up in the morning and working out and I feel an awesome rush afterwards! I have NEVER felt this way before. I mean, I was the only kid in Grade 4 who dreaded Dodge Ball...

I'm not saying Body-for-Life is, necessarily, the program for you. I'm just saying that having a set time limit (for me, it's 20 minutes on cardio days, 45 minutes on weight-training days) has made it more manageable and less of an emotional roller-coaster. Now I push the intensity, not the duration, and it's really working out great.

I'm only half-way through Week 5, just a bit longer than a month (start / current):
Hips - 47" / 45.5"
Waist - 36" / 35.75"
Thighs - 32.5" / 30"
Weight - 210.5lb / 206.5lb
Body Fat - 47% / 44%
Body Fat - 96lb / 91lb
LBM - 112lb / 115.5lb

These physical changes are not super-dramatic. My mental state has experienced the most dramatic shift. I LOVE WORKING OUT! It actually FEELS good. When I was trying to go a little bit longer each day and a little bit farther, there wasn't a clear-cut "end" in sight and that kinda worked against my emotional motivation. Somedays I'd have more energy and I'd go farther and I'd be really proud of myself and happy. Yet, on other days, I'd be a bit more low-energy and I just couldn't go as far or as long and I'd end up being disappointed and sad and that would make me dread getting back out there the next day. Now that I'm pushing the intensity, my maximum effort varies from day to day, depending on my energy level, but it's the fact that it's my maximum effort that counts--I'm not comparing it to some other day when a whole different set of factors was at work.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02. Exercise is very personal and very individual experience. Just keep going--keep moving! Because, once you find the right "groove" it feels AWESOME!

Trilbe
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 15:50

I have heard so many people on this board talking about that book...I saw it for sale at Costco...I think next time I am there I will pick it up...I am just afraid that I would get it, and not do it...hence feeling I had failed myself in some way...I am being very cautious to not slip into that mode.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 16:27
Registered Member

Plan: ProteinPower/Body-for-Life
Stats: 215/181.5/130
BF:47%/38%/18%
Progress: 39%
Default Body-for-Life

Hi!

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and are back on the move!

I didn't mean for my post to be a big Body-for-Life endorsement. I really like BFL, but I'm super lucky, in that BFL fits in perfectly with my lifestyle: I have a healthclub (not an exercise room, a HEALTHCLUB, complete with personal trainers) INSIDE my apartment building, and a good friend who brings me Myoplex Low-Carb Ready-to-Drink shakes...

Exercise is totally personal, I think. Each person has to find that with which he or she will "click." I "clicked" with BFL, but that doesn't mean that you will. I just wanted to share my experience, because I felt like I could relate to how you were feeling. I've spent time on the emotional roller-coaster.

I didn't think I'd ever find any exercise that I would fall in love with--but now I have! So, just keep on going. If you don't totally love what you're doing now, keep looking around. I just KNOW that there is something out there that you will LOVE. Honestly. If I could find an exercise program that gives me a "rush" I know that you can too!

Trilbe
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 18:27

I just found out that one of my G/F's has the book...so I am going to borrow it...and check it out...I do love my hiking...and I made it to the top of the mountain today...but it isn't doing much for my upper body...and I would really like to work on the "Angel Wings"...or bat wings...My arms are so fat...the rest of me could probably go down a size in clothes...but my arms are still too big...so I am just going to check out the book, then decide if I can commit to it or not...so many people seem to really like it...there must be something to it!

I had an awesome day!

Hope you did too!