Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 15:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/182/150
BF:
Progress: 30%
Unhappy 3 wks good 3 wks bad

I'm new to computers and the internet and new to this type of diet. I need a little encouragement to help me past this stall. I just weighed myself this morning and I have lost no further wt since wk 3. No cheating and careful carb counting. I might go up or down but my wt has not changed! I'm frustrated - cheesecake looks pretty good today! Help... I need some reassurance that I can get back into the losing mode. Hope I'm doing this computer stuff right. Thanks for listening.
PamE
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 15:39

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

My biggest complaint with the various low carb books is that the aren't honest about stalls. Almost everyone who does Atkins induction will stal for several weeks after their initial weight loss. As you get you time on the diet, you will go through additional stalls. It's normal tp lose by fits and starts on this diet. I've been doing it since May 1 and have had 3, 2 ran the length of Octobere and January. What you need to do is measure yourself every couple of weeks, either with a tape measure or just keep trying on smaller clothes. You'll usually find that you get smaller even when you not losing on the scale. Hang in there, you doing just fine. Nyah Levi
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

You can HAVE cheesecake - IF it's low-carb. There are several recipes for various low-carb versions on this website.

Bluesmoke is correct, though, that stalls are a perfectly normal part of dieting. Did you measure yourself before beginning this way of life? If not, do it now. You'll regret it later if you haven't. (I do, anyway.) Plus, it's one way to know if you're truly stalled or not.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 19:29

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Default Recoup

What you're going through is normal. You've lost 14 pounds in three weeks - that's kind of a shock for your body, don't you think? I think your body is just in a "catching its breath" phase right now. Stay good , don't go drowning your frustration in foods that you know you shouldn't have, and be patient . The remark about measuring is valuable, too. Your body may be recomposing itself. People often lose inches instead of pounds for a bit.

Either way, patience is the key. Keep on the plan, drink the water, and perhaps the whoosh fairy will come by to take a few more pounds.

Keep the faith!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 20:31

Stats: 202/174/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Don't Give Up Now!

Hello PamE!
I started LCing Nov 2 I have lost 25 pounds total--19 on induction (the first two weeks) and 2 this week! But I have also (fairly consisantly) lost 19 1/2 inches on different parts of my body...I too would have been discourage with watching my weight for the past 90 days if I did not have my measuring tape...I am happier over those inches lost than what the scale says any day! And I did not start measuring until after the first month (after those 19 pounds!)

Just Hang In There...Don't Give Up Now!

Julie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 17:34

BF:
Angry stalls - how long months?

Thank you to everyone who replied to my questions. I have been measuring and I know there is a difference in how my clothes feel but I guess I am conditioned to watch those pounds! I'm having a hard time feeling I am making progress when that darn scale keeps telling me otherwise. I have spent some time finding my way around this site and have been encouraged by some of the things I have read then totally discouraged by some of the stories people are telling. I can't believe that someone can be faithful to this woe if they have stalls that last 3,4,6 months or more. If our bodies shut down for these stalls when we are in induction I am worried that my body won't be able to handle even a moderate increase in carbs in the future without gaining wt. If I am just barely maintaining at the 20 carbs in induction where do I go from there? I feel a little mislead by the information in the books I have been reading. All the examples of wt loss in the books are on the extreme end with no mention of the situation that a lot of people seem to be in with these stalls.
I hope this does not sound like I am whining I am just trying to find the best woe for me that includes wt loss. I have lost on low fat diets with a lot of exercise, sitting aroung waiting for a stall to end does not fit in to my plan of trying to do something better for myself. I am enjoying the lack of hunger and the way I am feeling now - but need a little more information to convince me to go on.
PamE
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 18:25

BF:
Default In answer to my long story

Sorry, I am a computer idiot. My computer notified me of a reply to my very long winded story. I tried to copy the thread address and somehow have not found the reply. I think it was from someone with an F starting their name. If someone could let me know what I might have done wrong and the easiest way to get to a reply please let me know. (I thought any replies would follow my question) I't is tough being computer illitereate, hopefully I can get up to speed soon. Look forward to your replies.

Thanks PamE
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 19:06

I have some questions for you - are you using Atkins bars? How about your water intake? Could you post sample daily menus?

Stalls are certainly frustrating! It is kind of glossed over in the books, I agree.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 20:24

BF:
Default reply to Catspaw

Thanks for your interest. Here is a sample of my daily food plan.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 strips bacon
1 cup decaf w/2 T cream, 1 pack splenda

Lunch: 1 cup salad w/ 1 T dressing (1 carb per T)
1 oz cheese & hamburger patty

Dinner: 1 cup salad w/ 1 T dressing, 1/2 avocado
1/2 c broccoli w/butter, 5 olives
roast chicken

Breakfast: 2 eggs & 2 strips bacon
1 cup decaf w/2 t cream and 1 pk splenda

Lunch: 5 olives, turkey & 1T mayo
1 cup salad & dressing

Dinner: Stroganoff (from Atkins book) 1 serving 4.25 carbs
1/2 avocado, salad & dressing

From my meanderings through others experiences I am thinking of cutting out the coffee w/ cream and splenda and cutting out the bacon. Oh, by the way, my water intake is between 90 & 110 oz per day. (I measure). My usual carb intake, if my counts are correct, is usually between 16 & 20 per day. Is there such a thing as not enough carbs? I couldn't find this mentioned in the book.

Thanks, waiting for your insights!
PamE
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 20:35

BF:
Default To Catspaw

Sorry I almost didn't answer all your questions. No Atkins bars (Can you even get them in Canada?)

PamE
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 21:15

You look like you're right on track. Coffee can be a staller, so by all means see if cutting it out doesn't help.

Are you exercising at all? Have you looked into posting your food intake on fitday dot com to see what you're taking in every day? Are you getting enough calories (10-12 times your goal weight)? How about vitamins?

I really think that you're doing fine. I've read that the expected weight loss on induction is about 10% of what you want to lose, which in your case would be under 5 pounds - and you lost quite a bit more than that. It is difficult, for sure, but remind yourself that even if you aren't losing weight right now, you're not gaining either. Take the measurements, you'll be glad you did. Or get out some clothes you used to fit in and see where you are with them now.

I am willing to bet that not too long from now you are going to wake up with a few pounds missing! Sometimes it happens in fits and starts instead of consistently gradual.

best of luck!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 21:21

BF:
Default To Catspaw

Thanks for your encouragement. Yes I am excercising and taking vitamins. I'll keep on trucking and see where I get. Thanks for the luck I might need it.

PamE
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 10:34

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

PamE I just read your massages and I can so much know what you're going threw......Im in the same stage as you....very frustrated, and everyday thinking shall I quit or shall I not?...Im a runner, 6-10 mils 5 days a week doing weight for long long time. and my weight is up 3 down 3 pound-dont know if I lost those 5 puonds or not? or is it only 2 puonds.... Im so so so frustrated!!! ...and having all the douts the same as you have...let us see what will happen?.......Do you think we shell give up on the end?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 10:45
Registered Member

Stats: 292/273/190
BF:
Progress: 19%

I'm currently in a stall after my initial induction as well. While it is frustrating after having a nice 12 lb start, I'm not quitting, because I KNOW that going back to the way I WAS eatting sure isn't going to take the weight off.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 11:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/BodyRx
Stats: 209/169/150 Female 67 inches
BF:43%/32%/24%
Progress: 68%
Default Hellow Fellow Albertan!

Hi Pam.

On induction I lost 8 pounds the first week and then went up and down the same two pounds for three weeks straight. It was very discouraging and I probably would have quit without this forum to keep me motivated. I was losing inches, which helped, but I know what you mean about being conditioned to focus on the scales. I just wanted the dial to move, dammit! ;-)

Anyway, just this week I finally started losing again and am down another 4 pounds or so. I think what kick-started things for me was a couple of days of carbs over 20 grams (not way over, and not bad carbs... just more veggies than usual, more nuts)... and then back to 20 grams. It seemed like it gave my body a jolt to let go of the fat.

Your body is probably still adjusting to the fact that you're not giving it any glucose to burn. And if you're exercising at all, you could be gaining muscle while you lose fat. Don't give up! Especially if you like all the other positive side effects that this WOE gives you. Focus on how great you feel and eventually the scales will move.

Good luck and hang in there!