Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: PPP, Atkins
Stats: 285/274/165
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Oh ketones, ketones, whereforeartthou, ketones??

Hey everyone.

I'm a week into the protein power plan and I really haven't been spilling much by way of ketones, into my urine. Last night I bought the Atkins books (BJ's-cheap) and they insist your strips should be turning purple to be in ketosis. PPP states not to panic if yours don't especially if you are well hydrated ( I drink over 100oz of water alone daily). My weight has stalled too. I'm eating only 30 grams carbs daily. I've even cut out the lo carb bars because I used a hidden carb calculator and found a bunch hiding. At any rate. I'm debating whether or not to follow atkins induction at 20 gr carbs. It's different from PPP because with PPP you can subtract the dietary fiber from you carbs, and with Atkins you can't I believe. Luckily I've not been hungry too much this week (only 1 night)

I was hoping that because I'm weight lifting at the gym maybe I'm bulking up my muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. Also, I've noticed my legs and bum are a bit smaller. Maybe I'm just being a neurotic newbie, but I was hoping to be in ketosis (my strips only turn )light pink, which is small) by now.

Insight would be great.

Thanks!

Sharon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 13:25

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sharon, don't panic! The fact that you're lifting weights, eating a protein adequate diet, and noticing smaller body parts is a sure sign you're losing fat and building muscle. I know - I've been there.

Let me reasure you that ketosis, be it light or dark, is still ketosis. It's an indication that fat is being burned. For a more detailed explanation check this thread out .

Darker coloured stix are usually a sign of dehydration - an undesirable state to be in. Optimal fat burning requires water. Water will dilute your reading - so will intense exercise. When I think to test I bare manage to register "trace".

Have you taken your measurements? Remember, a lb of fat and a lb of muscle will weigh the same - a lb. BUT that lb of muscle will take up less than 1/3 the volume of the lb of fat. Face it, you're shrinking

BTW, Atkins now allows for subtracting of fiber from your carb count.

Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing - it's working.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 13:44
Registered Member

BF:
Default Much thanks

Hello Natrushka,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I actually just did my measurements now. I never did before I started, silly me. I also made an appt with my MD to have baseline labs drawn, although they'll be late since I'll have been on the plan for a few weeks by then. I've been blessed with low total cholesterol counts. Last one was 139, believe it or not, and triglycerides were 80 if I remember correctly. My ratio of good to bad was not that great though. I'll be curious to see if with the plan my ratio improves. My biggest boost for the WOE and WOL is that diabetes runs rampant in my family, and while I've been blessed with very good health (except for chronic sinus infections to ear infections) I'm getting older and I really don't want to go down that path. HTN is also huge. My old job (oncology RN in a very understaffed floor) raised my BP to new heights and my stress level was off the scales. Since I've changed jobs I've gotten much better, and now that I'm working out and doing the LC thing, I'm feeling very centered.

You are right, loss is loss is loss is loss. I just need to relax and realize that it happens in different ways. I'm still in the old fashioned mindset when I would drop 10 lbs of weight in a week and lose like mad. Iwas much younger then and also very very hungry. This is a much better plan, I know it.!!!!!

I'm off to the gym. It's really yuckie out today. Ice ice ice. They cancelled classes today so I had an unexpected snow day (yippee!!)
and oodles of time to clean and organize and reflect. Love those free days!!!

Sharon
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 14:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Much thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by bubbychux
I'm still in the old fashioned mindset when I would drop 10 lbs of weight in a week and lose like mad. Iwas much younger then and also very very hungry. This is a much better plan, I know it.!!!!!

Ouch. You were losing lean muscle not fat - not something you want. It is only possible for the average woman to lose 2lbs of fat a week - the rest would be water (like during the first week of LC) or lean muscle.

You're right - this is a better plan. Fat stays off much longer when it is lost slowly; when we learn how to keep it off. I don't know about you, Sharon, but I dont really care what I end up weighing when all is said and done - no one will know what I weigh with the exception of the people on this forum, but everyone is going to see my lean, trim body

Snow and ice and freezing rain here - the trek home is going to be interesting. Enjoy your workout!

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 19:49
Registered Member

BF:

Whew!
What a sloopy ride it was outside. Ice and rain. I had to dodge a fallen tree branch that blocked my side of the road. Anyway I had a good workout and was very pleased when I came home and peed and saw a nice medium purple. First time ever. However. I've decided to put the test strips away for the time being. It's like weighing yourself on the scale all day long. That's the exact reason I only take it out once a week. I don't need a little piece of paper telling me how I feel. My clothes are getting looser and my little extra chin is melting away.

Yay!

Hope everyone has a great Friday night!

Sharon