Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 19:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/-/130 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Tandoori paste

Can anyone out there let me know if tandoori paste is low carb? I used Patak's brand tonight, and marinated my chicken in it before roasting the chicken. It does contain spices, but I used in moderation (2tsp) + 2 T sour cream and 1 T olive oil. There is no breakdown of specific amounts on the label, and I went to the website and couldn't find anything further.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 23:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

As long as there's no sugars or starches, it should be fine!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 20:42

BF:
Default Patak's tandoori Paste

Okay Karen, here are the ingredients in the order listed: Water, ginger, tamarind, salt, coriander, cumin, garlic, turmeric, chilli, spices, acetic acid, Colors; Red #3,Yellow #6, acidifier, lactic acid.

I don't really know what tamarind and turmeric are, but I think that the rest are basically a spice blend. I know that spices contain carbs but can be used in moderation. Honest opinion: What do you think about using a few tsps for flavour?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 00:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I like Patak's tandoori paste and I think there is nothing wrong with using it in moderation.

The stuff to worry about are the things that trigger or feed your cravings/addictions/binges. Artificial sweeteners, low-carb substitutes, artificially sweetened beverages, nuts and dairy products are things to worry over.

A little bit of tandoori paste should be no problem unless you start craving it!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 13:37

BF:

Thanks Karen, for your input. I'm not much of a cook, but I've been starting to experiment in how I prepare my meats to add some variety. I've been enjoying the results, surprisingly, too. Looks like it will be a new choice for me. (The chicken turned out great, but I was so worried afterwards about the carbs, I sort of didn't feel very good.)