Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 16:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/138/130 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Eating the good junk

Okay people!!!!!!!! I just had a Endulge bar from atkins... OH MY GOD, is this illegal, I did not eat the whole thing there are 10 little suqares and I ate 4, it was if I went to OZ... wonderful.. boy is it better over that raimbow.. Dose anyone know any other items wich are good tasting?? I made the muffins (blueberry) yesterday and I had one for breakfast and one for lundh... yum yum yum.. is this bad to do.. I will tell you in the morning if I am gaining any weight ..

I posted before about how the heck can it be one set of carbs for LC'er and another set for regular folk to eat?? Can anyone answer that for me???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 17:23
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Vivi,

The low carb bars stall some folk, but others find them to be not a problem. I guess the only way to know is by trial and error.
The reason for the possible stall is that they contain "hidden carbs," or sugar alcohols.

If you look to the right of the screen, "The truth about low carb sweeteners info" will explain the sugar alcohols better than I can.

As for the muffins - depends what's in them. I personally think you'd be better off keeping those types of foods for special occasions. Eating plenty of vegies with plenty of protein and fat sounds better to me for lunch than a muffin.

As for your last statement about the carbs, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I do know that some of us are addicted to carbs, while others manage to escape it totally. It seems to be genetic.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 17:59

BF:

Hi rosebud, I am sorry I did not make the last statment clear.. I find when I by something eg, sugarfree candy or muffin mix all from atkins, it says 16 carbs, low carb dieters 2carbs, how dose that work, how can the carbs be less for us and more for a non-LC'er..

Do you know the answer to that ??
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 18:06
Forum Moderator

BF:

Vivi, I think I've answered that one elsewhere, but I'll happily explain it again.

It's all about the hidden carbs, or sugar alcohols. Dr Atkins reckons they are not perceived as carbs by the body, but in actual fact for many folk they are a definite staller. In other words, their bodies perceive them as sugars.

So when a product says 16 carbs, it does have 16 carbs. If you are lucky, your body will only perceive 2 of them to be "real carbs."

I strongly feel that these bars etc should not be used too often. I think Dr Atkins has done wonders for us all, but the bottom line is - he's out to make money from his products.

HTH!

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 18:09

BF:

16 thank you rosebud.. I got it.. I really apprecitate your help.. I would of thought that atkins would of been on our side, but your right it's all about money isn't it..

god bless and stay well

vivian
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 23:30

Stats: 305.0/234.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

hey Vivi

Have you tried the carb-o-lite bars? there are only 2 grams of carbs. they taste like real chocolate candy bars. You still have to be careful not to eat to much of them because it may stall you. I like to have one or 2 when I am craving something sweet. but I have to force myself to having them only once in a while. ohh they can be so sinful LOL . they have them at wal-mart
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 00:46

BF:

hi vikkiejean,

No I am not tried them, but trust me I will. I have been loooking for anything new to try.. My sweet choice was to have a cup of coffee(decalf) with the cream and splenda and pretend I was drinking a cappuccino.. Which, to me it really dose taste like it, I drink my coffee black no sugar since the begining of time. If you ever come across any thing that is wonderful and I should try it.... just send a note. I will try anything once...

thanks Vivian
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 15:04

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 31%

She had an Endulge bar.. that is Atkin's chocolate candy bars. I eat one of those a week.. I agree.. they are wonderful. I have noticed no fluctuations in my weight.

I look at the hidden carb issue as... Either we trust Dr. Atkins or we do not. If I have to wonder if he is lieing about the carbs to sell his products... is he lieing about the effectiveness of this way of life?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 15:18
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi there Aysiama,

I think you're missing my point about the bars.

I'm not accusing Dr Atkins of telling lies about anything!

My point about the bars is that they stall a lot of people.
They certainly don't stall everybody, and I'm glad for you that you fall into the latter category.

It's one of those YMMV (your mileage may vary) issues. However we are all different and just because something works for you does not mean it will work for everybody. The same can be said about many things in this WOE, not just the bars.

I wish you much success!

Rosebud
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 13:25

Plan: Sommersize
Stats: 211/208/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi Vivi!
I have also tried one of Atkins bars, I think the Chocolate Mocha. I thought it was very good! I am in my third week of induction so I hope it will not slow me down...but I'll see what happens! It helps me to know that I can have a sweet treat and not have it blow my induction. I plan on trying other LC bars too!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 16:07

BF:

Susan, I have not tried those but I will. I have ordered a case of chocolate crunch, from the atkins website, the bars are 1.49 here each and the case of 36 is 16.49. so I am opting for that. I think if you limit to one a week you will be fine, I have two pieces a day and that is working out for me. and i really enjoy the muffins.

I am having a huge party at my home tomorrow for the labor day weekend and i have two deserts I ordered cheesecake(sf of course) and key lime pie(SF as well), I will have a sliver of each and report back tomorrow..

happy weight loss

vivian
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 13:18

Plan: Sommersize
Stats: 211/208/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 4%

Vivian, thanks for mentioning about buying the bars from his website. I will have to check that out, it would be cheaper!
Good Luck with your party! Stay strong!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 08:10

BF:

susan,

had a great time at the party, it was a success, I told you I would tell you the taste of the atkins cakes they were really good.. every one ate some. see when you buy from the site you pay the same shipping and handling even if it is one item.. so buy many and you save more money.. but the prices on the site is like 2,3,4 dollars off some times.. so good luck there and happy LC'ing and weight loss..

Regards

Vivian
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 08:25

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by vivi621
Hi rosebud, I am sorry I did not make the last statment clear.. I find when I by something eg, sugarfree candy or muffin mix all from atkins, it says 16 carbs, low carb dieters 2carbs, how dose that work, how can the carbs be less for us and more for a non-LC'er..

Do you know the answer to that ??

Vivi,

Some low carbers subtract out fiber from the carb total. That may be why the difference in carb counts. So if a product had 16 total carbs and 14 of those were fiber, the fiber would be subtracted and you end up with 2 carbs.

You see fiber is not processed in the human gut so it passes through without any effect to our blood sugars.

Hope that helps explain it better
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 09:19

BF:

Agonycat,

so help me out here if there are dietary fibers in the item I can subtract that number from the grams of Carbs and get the correct number of carbs hence cause.. there is not sugar??

So ,I wanted say a diet cookie, the carbs are 16g and ther are no fibers.. I really should not have that cause there is no dietary fiber, hence would make it the same 16g??

Oh am I making this clear?? help me out here.. I like to really know how this works??

Ps. I was just looking at your weight loss congrats on you 50lbs.. I am so pround of you ... You go girlfriend...........

thanks

vivian

Last edited by vivi621 : Mon, Sep-02-02 at 09:30.