Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 11:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 370/340/280 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress:
Default Ham and Bacon

I have seen many posts that talk about eating ham and bacon. I have searched and searched but have not found either without some kind of sugar. I got really excited when I found "all natural nitrate-free" bacon and after I mowed through half the pack, I noticed that it had a small amount of sugar. I felt I had been cheated!

My question is have any of you found truely sugar free ham or bacon in the US, or is this a myth. If not, do you guys just consider the small amount sugar in ham and bacon as nothing to worry about?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 11:33
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

The only place I've seen it is in good health food stores. If you can find the name of one, the stores will usually order it for you. Mine said if I ever want anything, they'll order a case for me and cut a deal on the price. The one I found (the name escapes me) wasn't cheap. Like $5 for an 8 oz package, but it was very good. If you have a deep freeze and can afford it, ordering a case is the way to go! HTH
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 19:54
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default sugar free bacon

Gwaltney has several kinds, the Thick Slice which comes in a silver package is not cured with sugar and is really good.
I have only found it in one small grocery store chain in this area of Ct. but you can probably order it directly from their web site.
It is really tasty stuff. I eat about 1/2 lb a day 4-5 days a week.

http://www.smithfieldfoods.com/Unde...ly/gwaltney.asp

Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 20:18
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

My experience has been that the low-salt varieties tend to have very little or no sugar added too.

Of course, with less salt and sugar, these will have a shorter shelf life. You either need to eat up quickly, or freeze in portions .. or cook the whole pkg at once (highly recommended ) and then freeze.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 19:04
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default cooking bacon

what I have settled on is this:
I bought a non-stick cookie sheet with a lip around it. I lay out one pound of bacon on the sheet, and place in a 425 degree oven for 8 minutes....then I take it out and flip each piece of bacon over...and return to overn for 8 more minutes.
When I take it out, I lay out half the slices on a couple of paper towels in a tupperware container, place two more towel sheets down, and lay out the rest of the bacon.
Then I snap on the cover and place in 'fridge. When I want bacon, I simply grab what I want, place between two sheets of paper towels, and ZAP in the microwave.
I like my bacon 'loose' and dripping with fat but you can make it as crisp as you want when you microwave it.
I eat a lot of bacon so I cook three pounds at a crack and store all of the partially cooked bacon as noted above. Since it is usually gone within 7 to 9 days, I have had no problems whatsoever with spoiling. Freezing would work, of course, but then it takes longer to reheat for a snack......and I have no patience.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 20:24

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I buy Gwaltney's bacon, too. Our WalMart Super Centers carry it in the meat department (about $2 a pound). As far as modern-day bacon goes, it's really pretty good. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone but me remembers what REAL bacon tastes like!

One thing I've been considering is buying a smoker (small ones run about $60-$90), and going to one of the local butcher shops and buying the meat and smoking it myself. I was thinking about this before ever starting Atkins, and now I'm really tempted, because sometimes it's hard for us to afford halfway decent meat.

Last edited by LilaCotton : Sun, Oct-05-03 at 20:26.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 07:19

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

I like the Gwaltney hardwood smoked flavor of bacon - no sugar and it says so right on the package. I like my bacon "floppy" too.

Yes, I remember what real bacon tastes like. When I go up home I go right through the heart of Amish country and stop and buy real hickory smoked bacon and ham hocks. I also usually get a hickory smoked ham - not all that nasty nitrate/nitrite and sodium crap to deal with.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 08:38

Stats: 325/325/190 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I use the gwaltney bacon too, but am never ever seen any not sugar/detrose cured ham around here at any grocery store. Is there ANY?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 08:40

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

I not aware of any brand of dextrose/sugar free ham in a grocery store. I buy mine from an Amish country market and have specifically asked about sugar/honey/molasses/salt and all of the other things I really don't want in a ham.

shortstuff