Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 07:18

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 182/182/155
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question is it ok to eat sugar free jelly during induction

I am on to day three of Dr Atkins and was wondering if it was ok to have a teeny bit of sugar free jelly. I read the label and it said nil carbohydrates.... I think the sweeter is nutrasweet or something similar to it.

Thanks

Tina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 07:35

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Tina, I moved your post to the newbie questions since the forum you posted it in is originally for recipes.

Some will say you can have sugar free jello. However the purpose of induction is to break carbohydrate addiction. Some find that eating something that "tastes" sweet still triggers the carb cravings. It's only for two weeks and I am sure you can do without something sweet for that long. Right?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 07:51

BF:
Default thanks

Dear Agony Cat,

Thanks for that response... I have been reading the various posts during my lunch hour over here in London, UK. You are right.... why should I let a bit of Jello come between me and life time of healthy eating huh?

I was just thinking usually if I get the smell of hot cooked rice I get so excited like a kid in a sweet shop.. however this morning when I cooked some rice for my husban'd lunch I did not even get the urge to eat a single grain.... does this mean I have kicked the cravings for carbs?

Also so far I have lost 4 pounds in weight. My food intake is as follows...

Breakfast - two boiled eggs and 3 slices of ham

Lunch - stirfried turkey with red peppers, zuchchini, and mushrooms in a satay sauce

dinner - cooked chicken breast with boiled brocolli...

do you this is ok?

Tina
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 07:57

Tina,

The lack of craving for the rice is a sign that you are getting those carb cravings under control. A sure sign you are moving in the right direction

As for your menu it looks good Just beware of eating salty foods such as the ham. It could be a cause of water retention

What is satay? You say it is a sauce....is it thickened with anything like corn starch, or arrow root? If so you may want to rethink that one as those do contain carbs and "might" cause a trigger later down the road.

Good job on the 4 pound loss so far!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 08:13

BF:
Default satay sauce

that is an indonesiand sauce pade from peanuts but I used a bottle of about 100 grams and it had not nutrition values printed on it.... but the main ingredients is peanuts... anyway I will make up for it today....

Thanks for your advice...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 10:37

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

I was just looking over this thread, and was a bit confused. Firstimer asked whether "sugar free jelly" (with a y, not an o) was OK for induction. The responses were regarding sugar-free jello. Big difference.

I would say jello is fine, but not jelly. Even though the jelly has no sugar, the fruit itself has carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 02:07

Plan: Atkins / Low Carb
Stats: 308/298/143 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hi

Jelly in the UK and Australia = Jello in the USA

Jelly in the USA = Jam in the UK and Australia

Just thought I would shed some light on the subject

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 07:54

Quote:
Originally posted by SthrnTami
I was just looking over this thread, and was a bit confused. Firstimer asked whether "sugar free jelly" (with a y, not an o) was OK for induction. The responses were regarding sugar-free jello. Big difference.

I would say jello is fine, but not jelly. Even though the jelly has no sugar, the fruit itself has carbs.

The original advice stays the same though.....

However the purpose of induction is to break carbohydrate addiction. Some find that eating something that "tastes" sweet still triggers the carb cravings. It's only for two weeks and I am sure you can do without something sweet for that long. Right?