Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 11:38

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress:
Question Synthroid & DHEA?

Can you take Synthroid and DHEA?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 185/179/145
BF:
Progress: 15%

What is DHEA?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 00:34
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts & WW
Stats: 150/127/132
BF:
Progress: 128%

First, Synthroid doesn't adequately address most thyroid sufferers. That is because it only contains T4, and no T3. Whereas the body naturally converts its own T4 to T3, medicated T4 does NOT convert to T3. This is important, because T3 regulates energy level and metabolism.

DHEA is a hormone found in higher intensities in younger people. It is guessed that taking the supplementary vitamin [which is over the counter] will make people feel better. It should make you lose weight and increase energy level. It is also known to help Hashimotos Sufferers.

There is no problem taking DHEA with your thyroid medication - but you should NEVER TAKE ANY OTHER MEDICATION WITHIN TWO HOURS OF TAKING YOUR THYROID MEDICATION. I try to take my thyroid medication by 5:35 in the morning, take my vitamins around 9:00 a.m., and take my replacement testosterone and DHEA at night.

Margaret
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 21:38

Plan: Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
Stats: 270/260/220 Male 6',1"
BF:
Progress:
Wink I am also on synthroid

I have not been advised not to take any other medicne with synthroid.
Could you explain this to me. I was not aware of any ill effects.
kolo
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 05:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Here is information from Mary Shomon's Thyroid Information site at about.com ..
Quote:
Q. Should You Take Your Thyroid Hormone With Food vs. An Empty Stomach?

Food may delay or reduce the absorption of many drugs, including thyroid hormone. Food can often slow the process of the stomach entering, but it may also affect absorption of the drug you're taking by binding with it, by decreasing access to absorption sites, by altering the rate at which it dissolves, or by changing the stomach's pH balance. This is why many doctors recommend that for best absorption of your thyroid hormone, you should take it first thing the morning, on an empty stomach, one hour before eating.

-----------------------

Many doctors recommend that for best absorption of your thyroid hormone, take it first thing the morning, on an empty stomach, and wait one hour before eating, and at least two hours before taking any vitamin with iron.
-----------------------

However, if you cannot take it this way, consistency becomes the key. If you're going to take your thyroid hormone with food, take it every day with food, consistently. If you've changed from taking it on an empty stomach, then around six to eight weeks after you start taking it with food, you should have another TSH test to ensure you're receiving the proper amount of thyroid hormone. Taking the drug with food might inhibit absorption somewhat, but this safety check will make sure your dosage gets tweaked if it needs to be changed slightly. But again, CONSISTENCY. Don't take it some days with food, some days without, or you're sure to have erratic absorption, and it will be harder to regulate your TSH levels.

Note - it's also wise to take thyroid hormone .. and any other medication or supplement .. at least an hour before or two hours after taking fiber such as psyllium, or eating a very high fiber meal.

hth,

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 23:32

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

has anyone here experience increased weight loss with DHEA?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 10:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

DHEA supplements sold over-the-counter in health food stores, have only 1/10th the amount of the hormone in them as has been used in any study (ie, 5mg as opposed to 50mg)

Also, this article was published today at HealthScout news ...

Anti-Aging Supplement May Clog Arteries

By Randy Dotinga -- HealthDay Reporter

THURSDAY, Dec. 4 (HealthDayNews) -- Adding another chapter to the conflicting history of medical reports about the supposed "anti-aging" supplement DHEA, a new study suggests the hormone could contribute to clogged arteries.

Researchers examined the effects of DHEA only in laboratory tests, not in humans. Even so, the study's authors are recommending against use of the supplement outside of research.

"People should refrain from taking DHEA in an unsupervised fashion," says co-author Dr. Martin K.C. Ng, a cardiologist at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney, Australia.

DHEA, which the body produces naturally, has become one of the most popular and controversial dietary supplements on the market. Among other things, proponents say DHEA can boost the immune system, improve memory, help people lose weight and combat low sex drives. The last benefit may be the biggest grabber.

"Aging gentlemen often take DHEA to supplement their diet, hoping that will boost their testosterone," says Dr. Michael V. Sofroniew, a professor of neurobiology at the University of California at Los Angeles.

Indeed, DHEA is directly linked to testosterone and other hormones. DHEA was originally thought to serve mainly as a kind of parent to the other hormones, but now researchers think it serves purposes of its own, Sofroniew says.

For the most part, however, DHEA remains "pretty mysterious," Sofroniew says. Body levels of DHEA peak during adolescence and then drop off, with especially low levels reported among depressed people. But it's not clear if those levels are a cause or effect of depression, Sofroniew adds.

Some researchers have suggested DHEA may prevent heart disease, but no one has examined that theory by launching a sophisticated test among humans, Ng notes. "In fact, very little is known about the potential effects of DHEA on heart disease," he says. "Despite this lack of evidence for safety or benefit, many people are taking DHEA in the U.S. on an unsupervised, over-the-counter basis."

Ng and his colleagues exposed human cells to DHEA and watched the results. They report their findings in the Dec. 3 issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

The study found DHEA may actually promote heart disease. When under the influence of DHEA, some cells appear to take in more cholesterol, potentially clogging arteries.

However, "a limitation of our study is that we studied the direct administration of DHEA to human cells on a plastic dish rather than to a human being," Ng admits. In humans, the interaction of hormones is more complicated, he explains.

At this early point in research, it's not clear if the potential risks to the heart posed by DHEA may be as dire as those posed by smoking, diabetes and obesity, Ng says. But he still advises plenty of caution about its use.

Peter J. Hornsby, a professor of physiology at the University of Texas Health Science Center, agrees that DHEA's effects on the heart remain unclear, especially considering that young people naturally have high levels of the hormone but don't seem to suffer from ill effects.

For the time being, it's "very dangerous" for people to take DHEA on their own, Hornsby says. "We don't know what the normal function of this hormone is in young adults, and we have no idea why we have this hormone" in the first place.

~~~~~~~~

To learn more about DHEA, try quackwatch.org for a skeptical view. The Council for Responsible Nutrition, a supplement trade group, says it can't recommend whether its members should sell DHEA. Also, the Mayo Clinic has a page on anti-aging therapies.

http://www.healthscout.com/news/1/516330/main.html
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 11:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I take DHEA and it has not noticably decreased my weight, but I HAVE noticed an improvement in my SKIN. Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the above article, but IRON and CALCIUM supplements taken within 2 hours of your Synthroid can keep the Sythroid from being absorbed properly thus negating its effect. Many Dr's forget to mention this!!