Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 21:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/316/160
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Social Situations

Hi everyone,

Have any of you found yourselves in situations where you have to somehow explain why you are not going to eat all the carbs they are trying to serve.

I recently started a new job and LUNCH IS A PERK! However the foods they serve are "typical low fat high carb" meals. I have had a bit of a hard time bringing my lunch every day because someone always makes a comment...such as " you know you don't have to bring your lunch" or "sooner or later you will 'breakdown' " or words to the effect that I don't like what the cook makes....

None of these are true of course, but I don't really want to explain to twenty people why I am not eating the food that is served. I am polite and eat with them all none the less and enjoy their company, but how do you explain enough but not too much. I have even thought about going to the cook and telling her that her cooking smells great, but I just don't eat bread and that is why I have chosen to bring my own.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 23:06

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi Damaraq

That's a toughie. What a great company you must work for! Is it kind of a buffet style lunch or is there only one option?

If there is a choice, you could just go with any low carb options such as meat or veges, and take some extra food from home to supplement if it is not enough.

If they only have one choice and it is high carb then you are probably doing the best thing by bringing your own.

You could always approach the chef and ask if s/he would mind doing a low carb dish each day.

As for explaining to your colleagues, I generally tell people I am cutting out all sugars and white starchy foods....seems to work mostly

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 04:43

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I just say I can't eat bread or startchy items, they make me feel sick (they do, sick that I am going to break out in fat). I vote for talking to the cook too.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 15:28

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post What to do?

I would also ask to speak to the chef...so many people these days are living or thinking about LC life...you probably won't be the first to inquire about LC choices...

And others will follow your lead based on your response to their inquiries. If you make a big deal of it with a long, drawn out explanation, they will only be up in your face even more and give your a tougher time. Just tell them you've chosen to skip white flour and sugar because it makes you feel sluggish and you feel better when you avoid them. Then move on...it's all in the delivery !!

Good luck to you!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 18:46

Stats: 351/316/160
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thank you everyone for your replies. The menu is only one meal and when I see a tatertot/hamburger caserole, green beans, and a banana I cringe...there is no way to separate such foods.....the funny thing is..they are trying to (through this cooking and meal planning) promote "healthy" eating, which according to the food pyramid is right in line. I can't wait for the low carb science to be acknowledged in the world!

There are quite a few diabetics in the office...they have SOME realization of the carb/blood sugar reaction..but of course do not limit carbs as one on a low carb diet does so I think I will have my talk with the cook so I can know feel at ease about the subject and continue "BROWN-BAGGING" it!