Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 14:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/190/170 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Alcohol

Hi guys.
I'm finding it quite easy to stick to a strict induction diet, with one exception - BOOZE! If I stick out the two weeks alcohol-free, is it OK for me to add spirits (vodka, bourbon) back into my diet? As far as I can make out it just means that I'll need to burn more energy, so can I compensate by upping the daily exercise? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 14:39

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

I have had the occasional drink or 3 while on Atkins. Funny thing is, everytime I do, I seem to lose weight! I suspect that is dehydration, but the new weight seems to stick. I ususally drink low carb beer, or the splenda based cooler we have in Canada.

brobin
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 14:46

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I drank on induction and am doing fine. I prefer diet soda and vodka
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 16:08
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I drank a little on induction, a lot afterwards, and have still managed to take off 35 lbs. It slows but does not stop weight loss. My favorite drink is red wine, but I drank white wine or spirits when I was doing the early, very low-carb stages of Atkins. Now I find spirits are too strong for me most of the time.

On reflection, I should say that for me it slows but does not stop the loss. YMMV.

Emily

Last edited by tholian8 : Sun, Nov-09-03 at 16:08. Reason: afterthought
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 17:27

Stats: 200/190/170 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the replies guys. It's nice to hear that the weight'll still come off tholian8 - BTW, I love your avatar - mysterious yet strangely sexy...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 17:34
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

#7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 17:46
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I have had blended whiskey with water almost every day both on induction and whatever the heck I'm doing now. I agree with Emily, it most likely slows things down but doesn't stop the weight loss. I wanted to see if I could lose weight without doing something that would make me feel as though I was on a "diet".....and it appears that I can.

When I first tried Atkins (it was a very different plan then) in the early 1970's), I drank lite beer and still had success. But I missed the vegetables we are allowed now....

Kay
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 06:13

Plan: what ever
Stats: 198/177/000 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

After a full day, when hubbie gets home its Miller time (Milwaukee's Best Lite) put out by Miller. I do how ever include that carb count in to my daily carbs, plus I have a bottal of water I drink on the side with my beer LOL. I don't seem to have a prob with it, although I have heard that it does slow down the metabolisum. I am in no rush to loose weight quick, as that has always been a big issue in my past atempts to loose the weight. If I was not skinny in a week then forget it. This time I am going to take a good 8 months to reach my goal. If I reach it before Great, If it takes alittle longer then thats great tooo. At my age the days,weeks months, and even years pass so quickly anymore, (Now) 8 months will seem like next week. LOL
Have a Great Day everyone
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 12:39

Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%

Brobin - What is the cooler called? Is it called Thin Ice? I really miss Smirnoff, and Mikes Hard lemonade. I asked at our liquor store here in B.C. and they said they can't bring it into B.C. cuz of a labeling issue. Most of the liquor store is on Atkins, and he said, as soon as they can get it, they will. My daughter lives in Toronto, and I'm thinking of getting her to bring me some at Xmas. I think there is also one called "life source". What is it called, and are they good? Thanks!!

Last edited by sunnywey : Mon, Nov-10-03 at 12:44.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 12:43

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been drinking alcohol since about 5 days into induction. Usually, I will have rum and diet coke if we go out somewhere. At home, I make my own concoction of vodka, Diet Mt Dew, and blastin' berry cherry sugar-free Kool-Aid. Makes a kind of carb-free punch. I have only had beer twice after I started this WOL (and it was low-carb beer), but I dislike the bloated feeling I get after drinking beer, so I gave that up. The fact that I continued to drink alcohol surely slowed down my weighloss, but it did not halt it.

~Kelly Deneen