Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 08:18

Plan: Atkins / Isagenix/ IF
Stats: 282.5/210/160 Female 5'7
BF:71%/31.66%/20%
Progress: 59%
Exclamation CNN shows "The War on Obesity" forum

Did anyone catch CNN's airing of the government forum "THE WAR ON OBESITY"? My boyfriend taped it since he caught it on while I was at work. It was AMAZING! They had 4 panelists there to speak about new research. They are the top dietary researchers in their fields and one (the smarmy marketing one) was from Atkins.

I guess the government has decided that they are losing the war on fat, and that the food pyramid they made while in session 15 years ago is WRONG! So they are trying to revamp it and the entire system.

The only thing all 4 panelists could agree on was:

1) The current pyramid is way off in telling people to eat so many carbs.

2) All carbs are not equal, and the carbs that most people are eating are simple carbs that are often worse for you then table sugar!

3) The USDA who currently controls and manages the dietary health of the US is too corrupted by government and big corporation to make these decisions. All the panelist felt that a non-biast scientific organization needed to control these decisions based on scientific study fact.

4) More nutritional experiments needed to be done.

5) Trans fats are evil and labeling needs to get better quick. I guess PepsiCo is one of the only corporations hopping on this band wagon so far.

It ran for about 1 hour and was just so interesting. I don't know if it's on again, but I'm glad my boyfriend caught it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 08:21

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

sounds VERY interesting!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 11:13
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

One of those tiems I feel like saying "Well du'h, took you guys long enough" Of course nothing will be done because the USDA is still in control and other goverment agancies centered around heart and diabetis health follow them.

There was one state trying to improve the health of school lunches, which I can agree with totally. They were going to start offering daily fruit and veggie choices. I still agree. The bad part though was they were going to cut down on meat, offer vegan burgers a few times a week, and have more meat free things available on a daily basis.

While I see vegatarianism as a life choice that can be healthy, I worry these kids are already getting to little protien and too many carbs, this is just making the problem worse in an attempt to make it better.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 12:39

Plan: My own
Stats: 185/179/140 Female 69 inches
BF:no idea
Progress: 13%

Its about time they figure it out! hello! America has been getting fatter and fatter thanks to all those low fat high carb foods out there. I hope they change the food pyramid asap. Probably won't happen any time soon though cause that would mean that they have made a huge mistake, too much for their egos to take.

May ketosis be with you