Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:34

Plan: vegetarian low carb
Stats: 172/139/146 Male 5 foot 7.5 inches
BF:21%/16%/8%
Progress: 127%
Smile tiredness and nausea?

Hey guys,

Have been doing a veggie low-carb diet for 6 weeks now and have lost 50% of my goal weight loss (I have been achieving about 1kg per week or 2.2 pounds).

I sometimes feel totally exhausted and nauseus on the diet and because of this I have not started any exercise regime yet. I know this might be down to my application of the diet (I have to get up early and cannot face food so mostly miss breakfast, and stick to 2 meals a day). I also have not restricted my alcohol carbs on the diet. I can cut out bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, chips etc etc, but my wine at the weekends is staying!!

Is this right? I put this down to the lack of sugar energy that I am getting, and I am pretty sure I am in Ketosis, because my wee smells rank (like beef gravy if you must know - and me, a veggie!). I know I should eat less more often, but I have no appetite at all on this diet (or crave the things I am not allowed). I was a total carb junky before.

I know I will hit a hurdle, and hope to use exercise to get over it, but I can't face it with this lack of energy! Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 15:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelk
.......I put this down to the lack of sugar energy that I am getting, and I am pretty sure I am in Ketosis, because my wee smells rank (like beef gravy if you must know - and me, a veggie!). I know I should eat less more often, but I have no appetite at all on this diet (or crave the things I am not allowed). I was a total carb junky before.

hi there,

Without some sample menus of what you're eating day to day, it's hard to say what is the problem. But reading back through your previous posts, I'd say it's a good guess that you are not eating enough, and especially you are not eating enough protein. Chances are, being a carb junky veggie .. you weren't eating enough protein before, either

Ketosis urine has a "chemical" note to it, like acetone. If your urine smells "meaty" it's because you're breaking down protein ... YOUR protein from your muscles! Your body is catabolizing itself in order to get the protein and amino acids it needs to function properly. You do not need to eat sugar or carbs at all .. as long as there is protein, your liver can make glucose out of that. If you do not eat adequate protein, then your body will "eat" itself. That is why you are so weak and nauseous.

Are you a total vegan, or do you eat eggs and dairy?? That would certainly increase your options. You need to have some protein in the mornings before you rush out the door .. Low-carb soy or whey protein shakes with a few berries and some fat ... flax (fresh linseed) oil or some other nutritional oil .. would be very fast to whip up and drink down.

On the subject of oil ... you need to make sure you're getting plenty of fat .. since fat is the fuel your body runs on when you're low-carbing. Be generous with olive oil, and enjoy high-fat nuts such as macadamias and walnuts. Have avocadoes more often; they're a terrific source of monounsaturate fat .. and fiber.

Back on the subject of the strong-smelling urine .. whether it's ketones or urea .. you need to drink lots of water to keep your kidneys flushed. Coffee and sodas and wine don't count as water .. they contain compounds that actually are dehydrating and increase your need for water. Weakness and tiredness are also symptoms of dehydration.

And are you taking any supplements?? A good quality once-a-day multi is a must, and you need to take extra potassium and magnesium/calcium while you're on the weight loss portion of your program. Low potassium levels especially are associated with muscle weakness and fatigue.

I hope you're feeling better soon .. and if you'd like some suggestions and meal ideas, it would be helpful if you posted some examples of what (and when) you eat, so that folks can spot where you need to make changes.

hth,

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 16:21

Thanks for the advice Doreen.

I pretty much go for soup for lunch, and for my evening meal, a salad, with textured protein or vegetables and some sort of textured protein and lots of gravy!

I find having soup for lunch the best way for me to stick to the diet, I always get stuck for food otherwise, and thats when I cheat. Soup is quick, easy and always available for me!

I always have some protein for my evening meal but perhaps not enough from what you tell me! I will increase my dose!

You are right about the coffee part, I drink about 5/6 cups a day and tend not to really have much water other than that. There is a water fountain at work, so I have no reason not to drink more water. I do eat eggs and dairy, and get lots of milk from my coffee habit (about a cup a day?). So I am probably ok on the calcium side of things.

I have taken your advice and visited a low carb online store and ordered some stuff. Maybe if I have more choice I will eat more!

Thanks again for the advice. It is much appreciated.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 01:36

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Skelk

I also agree with Doreen. Reading through your post my first thought was she needs more protein.

You can get much of what you want from Holland and Barrett, if you have a shop near you. They are certainly my main source of supply for supplements and they do protein and flaxseed oil (Linseed oil) there too.

Hope you are feeling great soon.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 15:55

Hey. My food has arrived . I plan to have a dabble this weekend. I have not had Pasta for 7 weeks now...

I think you are both right about the protein... and the water, I have upped my dose.

LittleAnne, the part you got wrong was the "she" part.
I am a he, or I was the last time I looked...

Is 1kg too much to lose in a week? I set my target at 1 pound per week, and thought that my extra loss was due to the fact that I have only been doing the diet for a short time (7 weeks now).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 16:34

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

LittleAnne, the part you got wrong was the "she" part.
I am a he, or I was the last time I looked...

In that case a pregnancy test is out of the question (you know, tered, nausea...)