Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 06:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default wont go into ugly details but

I've had some carbs over weekend . Started back to low carb yesterday at lunch. Problem now is I have burn Finally had to take a nexium pill cause nothing else worked. Here's hoping it does. My : is this typical for carbing?? And if it is how long will it last? This is officially the first time I've gone off WOE since I started two months ago. Now I can vouch for all of you who say how crummy you feel after eating carbs! Dummy me Ellen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 07:16

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

I thikn once you are back to LC and get those carbs ot of your system the heartburn should go away. Now that you have been LCing for awhile, your body can not tolerate the carbs like it once did before. This is a good thing, it will help you keep on the straight and narrow because you now know how you feel once you start eating carbs again.

The heart burn is an indication that our bodies are not made to eat that much carbs...especially refined starchy carbs. Most people don't get heartburn from fruit which has alot of carbs, but will get heartburn from prcessed grains and starches. Cheerios give me terrible heartburn. I use to get the cheerio heartburn long before LCing.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 08:03

Stats: 254/216/167 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:37/31/24
Progress: 44%

I have GERD. And boy was the heartburn horendous. It took me maybe at the minimal 2-3 days of low carbing to no longer have the heart burn, or acid reflux.

Do Not beat yourself up for your rendevous with the carbs. Reason I say this is I have noticed that in situations of slow loss, or a stall a few extra carbs will do u some justice. Last week I was out of town. There were sonics everywhere .....those who have no idea what sonic is, to me it is the best burger in the south...lol. Anyways, I felt hey, u have lost almost 20 lbs. You have not splurged at all...go for it. I had one bacon cheeseburger. WITH the bun. And you know what?????? I lost 2 lbs. So either it is just pure luck, or my body needed a boost. But because that happened does not mean that I am allowing myself to "splurge" all the time. I have GREAT will power, and want this weight loss to much to splurge all the time. But, if a stall should occur, I may grab something with some carbs in it just to boost me up.

By no means, do not take my idea as a thing to do...just trying to let you know it is ok.....hey, we are human yanno.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 08:40

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

You know, I actually think it's important for a low-carber for life to experience the sensation of eating too many evil carbs. I still recall the awful feelings of my rendevouz and I've never repeated that loss of control, nor do I plan to! I suspect your ill feelings will go away soon, especially if you stick to good eatin'.

My strategy for cheating (if I have to during a holiday or "I just have to try this" moment) is to eat a CAD-type meal... keep it balanced, eat lots of veggies, etc. This will cut down some of the symptoms.

And, just like Monica said, a splurge can sometimes be what the body is begging for (a refeed of sorts) and it can often stimulate weight loss as your body re-inducts into ketosis. This is a strategy I wouldn't always recommend though.

Hope you're feeling better soon... and best of all, you learned from it!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 10:17

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Exclamation

I've had that happen to me too (I had (and I quote had) Acid Reflux before LCing) and usually within 48 hourse I was back to normal. Hope you feel better
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 14:49

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

After LCing for only 4 weeks, I took a vacation and treated myself to 3 homemade chocolate chip cookies. No weight gain. I never even went out of ketosis. But I woke up with the worst gas and indigestion I have ever had. That made it easy to say NO! the next time a CC cookie came my way.

I've heard other LCers say that refined carbs give them GI upset as well.

BTW, since I have been LCing, my bloated stomach has gone away! No longer are people asking me, "When are you due?"

Amy Mc
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 17:30
Registered Member

Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default feeling better as the day goes on

thank you all for the support. Your great