Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 21:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/232/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question I lose more weight eating certain foods.

I seem to be seeing a pattern on my weight loss. I don't know if this is possible or if this is just a coincidence. I have noticed that when I eat the Cabbage Lasagna (which is my favorite low carb recipe) and I also make cole slaw the same meal-- I have lost weight the next morning. I love these two particular foods--so I have had them 3 times in the past 2 weeks- and the next morning I saw weight loss. I don't always see weight loss immediatly with other foods- and I don't cheat either. Is it possible that cabbage can cause you to lose weight faster?
I know this may sound strange--but it appears this way by my pattern of eating.
If anyone else notices this--please let me know.

I just love this WOE--I am also very thankful for the great recipes I have obtained from this message board.

Thanks to all of you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 21:56

Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

Where can I find your recipe for cabbage lasagna? I don't think I've had this happen to me with anything, but I'll be paying more attention now.

Alli
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 22:08

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

cabbage lasagna sounds fabulous-- can u post the recipee in my journal? Also cole slaw is kinda high carb-- do u have a low carb recipee?

I don't know if cabbage causes weight loss, but i have noticed that eating eggs for breakfast always helped with my weight loss-- maybe its an individual thing?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 22:10

BF:

Allibaba,

I got this recipe from someone on this message board--but I don't remember the name of the person. I will post it here. I really love this recipe-and you can add more ingredients to make it taste different each time you make it.

I like to add "pizza" type ingredients sometimes to make it taste like a pizza casserole instead of lasagna. It tastes good any way you make it.

CAbbage Lasagna--Low Carb

1 lb. ground chuck
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 chopped green pepper
1 medium head cabbage
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1 can tomato paste -- (1 oz.) (1 to 18)
8 oz. sliced mozzarella cheese

Brown ground chuck, onion, green pepper. Boil cabbage until tender then set
aside, saving 2 cups of liquid. Combine 2 cups of liquid, oregano, tomato
paste, salt and pepper and simmer, stirring often. Add meat mixture to sauce
pan. simmer and stirring often. In a buttered 9x13 pan, layer cabbage and
tomato mixture Top with mozzarella cheese slices as your very last layer
only -Bake 400 for 30 min until cheese is browned, approx. Serves 8

P.S. I add 1 pkg of sweetner into the water as I am boiling the cabbage.
I think it cuts any "bitterness" of the cabbage and has a milder flavor. You just need to adjust your carb count a trace when you do this.

I hope you like it. I make cole slaw or creamed cucumber slices to serve with it and it dissappears quickly.

I still wonder about the cabbage affect of weight loss????

#5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 22:31

BF:

Trustycat,

I saw your message after I posted the recipe on the site. I am new to this message board and have not figured out how to use everything.
If I am doing this incorrectly--let me know.

I don"t think coleslaw is high in carbs. All of my counts were good on fit day.
Cabbage is low for a regular portion size- and the other ingred are low for the quantity per serving.

I just grate my cabbage and then mix 1/2 to 3/4 cup of mayonaaise type salad dressing with 1/4 cup vinegar and sweetner to desired sweetness. Then I pour this over the grated cabbage with some green pepper chopped into it.

I have always used coleslaw on this WOE and have actually lost more weight each time I eat the cabbage - that's why I am wondering about the association with the weigh vs. cabbage.

I hope you like this. Let me know if you try it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 06:52
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Cabbage can assist in weight loss as long as it is not overcooked. It's good for cleaning toxins out the body and colon. It aids digestion. There is also a theory that it attracts fat to help clear that out of the body too.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 09:44

BF:

Thank you Zuleikaa! I was not aware of how good cabbage is for you. That makes sense as to why I am seeing more weight loss during my cabbage eating days. I appreciate the information.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 11:08

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Ya'll remember the really nasty cabbage soup diet of a few years ago? Maybe cabbage has some really good weight loss properties, but I certainly don't advocate that soup! Blech!

Of course, asparagus also is supposed to help weight loss by keeping you *ahem* regular. Combine the two and maybe we're on to something!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 12:14
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

There's a delicious cabbage soup recipe in the recipe section.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 15:36

Stats: 144/117/115 Female 5' 3.5
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thanks for the recipe, Quiltlady! It looks like something the kids would like, too. My husband will be really pleased, he misses lasagna!

Peach
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 15:54

BF:

I remember the Cabbage soup diet--but I couldn't handle that more than a day.
I eat all the regular low carb food, but I know that I have seen the weight drop faster after I am eating cabbage. There must be something to this--at least for me right now. I am a big eater also--so I really put away that Cabbage Lasagna--more than I probably should eat. I drop the weight faster though.

I think I will check out that cabbage soup diet you suggested. That would be good to try. Thanks for telling me about the recipe.

I hope you get a chance to try the Lasagna recipe--When I have not used many carbs in the day I actually double the ground beef and cheese and make it thick. Oohhhhhhhhhhhhh...... I am getting hungry just thinking about it. lol
Let me know how you like it. You might find a better way to spice it up than I do- so tell me if you do.

Thanks you guys for your pointers.

Quiltlady
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 17:18
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I do find that adding certain foods seems to help. Cabbage and celery particularly. I don't know if adding them crowds out more calorie dense foods or if there's a diuretic component to either of them. In any case, I try to work them in often.

With St Patty's Day coming up, I can't wait for the corned beef and cabbage...
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 18:16
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 172/163/124 Female 62.5"
BF:31/29.5/24
Progress: 19%

I'm pretty sure there's a diuretic in celery, which is why pregnant women are supposed to be careful with it, but I'd never heard that about cabbage. Be interesting if the "fat attraction" theory were true. (and then I could set my ex up with a head of cabbage ...)
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 19:22
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There is a diet out there which claims that certain foods lke celery take more caloreis to digest then they contain. I'm not sure if cabbage was also on thier list. It was something you had to pay to get more information on so I never did
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 20:20

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

yeah--the negative-calorie diet...basically just says eat your fruits and veggies

Quiltlady--got your recipee, thanks so much!

I love cabbage but haven't had any in forever cause couldn't figure out how to eat in low-carb (besides raw) Anyone have any other cabbage-recipes? Where can i get this soup recipee?
Thanks!