Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 12:39

Plan: Lean For Life
Stats: 118/114.2/105
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Newbie in search of answers

Hi all! I'm reading the book right now but I had a few questions. I'm very hesitant to actually follow the plan because I'm so used to restricting my calories and eating like a bird I'm afraid of gaining all the weight back that I lost. But I'm at the point now where I can't follow my current plan (Lean For Life) because I get so fed up with my food choices. Is anyone doing this plan with only about 10 pounds to lose and have still lost?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 13:29
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 152/135/130
BF:??/25%/21% or less
Progress: 77%

I haven't restricted calories or fats for years. When I did, I ate TUMS, had tons of gas , was lactose intolerate and had steadily climbing triglycerides, cholesterol etc. My weight crept up about 3-5 pounds a year. I would occasionally cute back and lose some but it was WORK! My brother, grandmother both diabetic, and my mother is teetering on the edge. I have always worked out and been very careful about my health but had the wrong information. 13 years ago my OB recommened Atkins and I lost the extra baby weight. I promptly forgot and went back to the diet that my parents ate because of my father's heart (LOW fat, and so therefore HIGH carb). I started with Atkins again 4-5 years ago and will NEVER return to low fat because I don't like the way it makes me feel. I started with Schwartzbein only about three weeks ago and was terrified to start eating carbs again. After a 1 pound gain I have been VERY steady. I mean freaky. My weight normally is all over the place within about 4 pounds. My weight isn't budging, BUT I feel great! and things are definately firming. It is incredibly healthy and I am trying to follow it to the letter. So what is it you are looking for? A number on the scale? I can't promise that you might not gain. A healthy way of life (FOREVER?)
Then go for it!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 13:49

BF:

Thanks for the reply! I'm scared of gaining weight because it all goes to my hips (literally). I am only 4 pounds from my goal when I bought a whole bunch of new pants and they are all tight. But when I get down to about 111 they fit fine or are loose. It really is just hell. Why can't my weight just go to my top?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 14:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

This is a plan you can follow for the rest of your life and there are plenty of food choices. I have a lot more than just 10 pounds to lose, but I will get there!

Good Luck & Welcome

Pianobeiner
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 15:58
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Cinmin:

I'm not sure what to suggest except that restricting calories will make you gain weight even after you lose it all b/c your metabolism will become damaged. But I guess you know that since you are reading the book.

I don't think anyone can guarantee anything. Some have lost since starting SPII, but others have gained (including myself). It's a scarey proposition but I have to trust that eating healthy will not make me gain weight in the long term.

One option, if you are afraid of gaining, is to cut back a bit on saturated fats (but NOT monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats). Dr. S. explains this in SPII.

Good luck with your decision. I know it's scarey at first, but as the others have said, it's a totally logical plan for long-term health. You're basically re-learning healthy eating habits.

Wanda
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 17:23

BF:

I'm a little confused by the eating plan. At first she says to calculate the amount of protein you eat but because I am insulin sensitive with healthy adrenal glands I don't have to. This is fine and all but all that is being measured here is protein and carbs? No calories - got that one. It just seems so easy and yet scary because that is a lot of food -- a lot more than I'm used to eating at least.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 17:27

BF:

Another question: I usually have 6 small meals a day so I will now be eating 3 meals with 2 snacks. I'm reading the book but the snacks are only carbs?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 18:53
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Cinmin:

Only people who have burned out adrenal glands need to count their minimum protein intake. It's b/c too much protein at one time increases adrenaline and our feedback mechanism is screwed up so that it makes us feel better instead of worse. Spacing it evenly throughout the day is important.

I personally tried following the menu in SPII and found it to be way too much food for me as well. I'd love to address this on her site. I found I had to force feed myself, eating when I was totally stuffed. I was bloated and I was also waking up with food hangovers, which I took as a bad sign. I figured I can cut down on some of the food as long as I get my 5 servings of veggies/day as well as all my carbs and adequate protein. What I sometimes find helpful is to double up the carbs for a meal and then divide it in half for my meal and snack. That way, I feel like I am eating 3 meals instead of 5 meals.

Having said that, some days you will find that you are ravenous while other days, you won't be hungry. It seems to change from day to day.

As for the snacks, they should ideally be balanced with a protein, carb, nonstarchy carb and fat. If you can't do that, at the minimum, you should have a carb and protein together for a snack.

HTH,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Fri, May-30-03 at 18:55.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 09:01

BF:

Thanks! Everyone has been so helpful!

Another question though - What does everyone think about her cook book? Is it worth it?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 09:12
Mad Scientist

BF:

I love it. Lots of main meal salad recipes. Only problem is, it's geared for SPI instead of SPII so the recipes are pretty high in saturated fats for anyone following a lower saturated diet. But there are still lots of recipes in the book that are applicable to lower saturated fat programs.

Having burned out adrenal glands, I find it hard to make some recipes since our protein intake/meal is so low due to being evenly distributed throughout the day. Some recipes have almost my entire day's protein in one serving so that can be a challenge.

It's still a great book and I would recommend it to anyone.

Wanda
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 09:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

I have both of her cookbooks, the veggie cookbook was given to me. I definitely would get her main cookbook, the veggie recipes are in there anyway. I have tried 6 or 7 recipes and they score from a 7 to 10 on my would make it again scale.

Pianobeiner