Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 08:20

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/146/132 Female 5'61/2"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default I wonder what they think we eat????

This just in:

Vol. 1, Issue 48 August 26, 2002

LOW CARB DIET DANGER: KIDNEY STONES

High-protein, low-carbohydrate diets can accelerate weight loss but also pose a health risk. A new study from the University of Texas Southwestern medical Center found that they increase the risk of kidney stones.

Although the study was small - only 10 participants - after just six weeks on a diet allowing unrestricted protein plus some vegetables (but no fruits), tests showed a 25 percent decline in levels of urinary citrate, a natural body chemical that inhibits kidney stone formation. (They edged up when more carbs than initially allowed were added.) These changes could be particularly dangerous for those who are susceptible to kidney stones.

I recommend a healthier version of the low carb diet that eliminates starchy foods that are high on the glycemic index but includes lots of vegetables, a little fruit and reasonable portions of lean meat and fish.

Be well,
From the DrWeil.com team

His recommendation sounds suspiciously like what most of us are doing already, right?

Joanna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 08:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 242/204/142 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

You know, I wrote to the researchers of that particular study and asked them exactly what "diet" their 10 participants ate. They response I got back was "they followed the Atkin's plan of Induction for two weeks, then they went straight to the maintenance plan for the next 4 weeks, then they ate their regular food again for the last two weeks." She said they tested they subjects urine everyday during the "research" and came to the "conclusion" that a low carb/high-protein diet was bad for the kidneys. This so-called "study" had no control subjects and was only 8 weeks in length. Any doctor who would give advise based on that kind of study is just a plain jerk.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 09:17

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/146/132 Female 5'61/2"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Hi VarisSul!

It's truly amazin what gets passed off for science in the media, isn't it?

Joanna
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 12:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%
Default Weil

I am flabbergasted! I thought Weil was a low-fat guru. When did he convert?

Sheldon