Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 15:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/172/180
BF:
Progress: -60%
Post Started Induction

First time on Atkins and obviously this is my first post. Just wanted to say hello and maybe give you a few details.

I am near 34 years of age, 6' and approx 172 lbs and male. I have a significant "beer gut" so to speak but I don't drink much of it. (None right now) I have nice pair of love handles too. Otherwise I am rather slim/skinny everywhere else.

My goal is to completely lose the belly and gain some muscle on the rest of my body. Not huge just a decent amount. Therefore, I am looking to gain muscle weight. (Still not sure if this is the diet for me or not)

I am a carb and sweets junkie. Mostly carbs. I love fries, nachos and salsa. Stuff like that.

Been on Atkins for 7 days and it has been a little rough but I am getting used to it. I have a little problem with wanting to snack. I also don't really know want to eat all of the time. That makes it hard when you are hungry. I do think my appetite has decreased a little but I don't know if I lost much of the belly or not. My measurements aren't too accurate just yet. Wish I had someone to decide what to eat for me...... and actually make it would be nice

I will probably have a bunch of questions later but for now, it's good to have found a forum such as this and to read all of the interesting posts.

C Ya
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 15:57
Registered Member

Stats: 167/159/150
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi Frosh,

You and I are in the similar situation. I'm 32, 5'11, and I'm also trying to lose fat, especially around the belly.

I've been exercising daily... run 40 minutes and some weights. I know I'm gaining muscle because I feel it in my body.

The fat around the belly is difficult to get rid of (at least for me), but I've been shedding a few pounds and I can see my torso slimming. I think I need to lose even more before it'll show up in the belly.

As far as food goes, stock up on a lot of low-carb food and try everything. You don't want to get bored with your diet, especially in this phase.

Over the past two weeks, I've tried so many different things that I would never have eaten and it's great.

I think changing diet completely helps with the weight loss too because it's a shock to the system.

Anyway, good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 16:09

Stats: 175/172/180
BF:
Progress: -60%

Hey CharlesVan

Good to know someone in our situation has had positive results. If you don't mind can you give a couple of hints on what you are eating. Especially for breakfast. I am having a hard time knowing what to eat for breakfast. I used to be a toast with peanut butter and jam person and now I am stuck with the Advantage bar because I am stuck on what to eat.

Thanks for your previous reply
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 16:17
Registered Member

Stats: 167/159/150
BF:
Progress: 47%

Breakfast is the easiest... 3-egg omelets!!!

I sprinkle some cheddar in it (add Tobasco sauce on top) or I add green salsa (hot and spicy).

You can also scramble eggs and fry up some sausage but I haven't had sausage yet.

As other people have said, eat real food as much as possible. I do keep some Atkins bars on standby but they're expensive, don't you think?

Before or after workout, I usually have a protein shake. I actually like the AthElite brand (Simon Whitfield's PowerWhey). Be sure to buy the low carb one... it's labeled #3.

For variety sake, I bought the Designer PowerWhey chocolate protein shake but I find I feel like vomiting afterwards.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 16:21
Registered Member

Stats: 240/225/195
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hello! I'm also new to this WOE, but LOVE it so far. Here's a couple of breakfast ideas:

Microwavable sausage/bacon
This stuff is great...nuke it for 30 seconds or so,and you have a quick, easy breakfast.

Eggs
I usually don't have time for cooking them, so I usually boil a dozen or so on the weekends, and eat a couple on the way out.

Atkins Shakes
Sometimes, I just grab one of these for the road...not too often thoughhakes, they are tough on my stomach for some reason.

just a few suggestions.