Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 12:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%
Default HELP - what to eat...

I don't know what to do... we're broke. I have no eggs left, and only a few cans of tuna. That's not to say that I have no food.. just all high-carb food. And no paycheck till Thursday. I have cheese (but it's causing me to gain!!!), and a few veggies, and pretty much that's it.. certainly not enough to get me through lc'ing till Thursday...

What can I eat? Any suggestions? ACK! I havent' had lunch yet and I'm about to pour myself a bloody bowl of cereal I'm so hungry!!!!!

Blessings!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 12:53

Stats: 346/328/210 Male 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I imagine that this is a rough place to be in. I used to be there myself, but I wasn't LCing at the time, and I was gaining weight (odd turn of events, when I had the least money, I gained the most weight). I didn't have all the support that I do now, what with several of my friends on the Atkins diet, and with a wife to support me. Our prayers are with you, be as strong as you can be. Stick to it as best as you can. What I would do with my non-Atkins friends now is be honest, and ask them if they would trade me some cereal and pasta for eggs and meat (it may sound weird, but I feel that if someone is your friend, they'll be a friend when you're in need, not just when you're just hanging out).

Best wishes.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 12:59

Plan: my own
Stats: 240/232/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

shaerat,
I really liked benglad's idea about trading food with some of your friends. You could also ask someone to either lend you food or money until Thursday.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 13:00

I hadn't thought of that.. wow, maybe I could do that! Hmmm... now, to think who to ask...

Thank you!

Actually, I was reading another post about Atkins bars and it occured to me that there are two in the car in case of emergency, so I'll go get those and have one for lunch the next couple of days, and I'll see if I can trade some carbs for some low carbs (grin) with a friend... that might just get us through till payday.

I feel for what you said about being poor and fat. It'd hard, lots of people would look at someone who is poor and say "Oh, ya, but look how fat they are, they must be eating junk".. ya, carbs! Poor people LIVE on pasta, potatoes and rice.. it's cheap! AND fattening.

Ah well.. all prayers accepted!!! Thank you!
Blessings!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 13:00
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I wish I could have a sneakpeek in your cupboard, that might create some more ideas.. ... anyway. Maybe you could make some kind of "crisis" soup in a big batch that will last you a few days? LC veggies + one onion and garlic for the flavour, stockcube if you have, LOADS of oil and butter in it, as a filler and for more richness, nicely spiced. And then mix the tuna and cheese into tiny dollops and bake it in the oven (with loads of oil/butter), to have as "meatballs"/croutons in the soup, added when served?

Just an idea...

Best of luck!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 16:18

Plan: Atkins Wannabe
Stats: 260 ?/234/140 Female 63 Inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Aww I know exactly what you mean shaerat.. I dont know just how many times Ive found myself in the same situation.. Infact, give me a week, I may be there again *g*..

Me personally, this is what I would do.. Id start going all around the house for change.. At my house, we end up putting it all over the place. Clean out the car, under the couch, under the bed ect.. All in the name of loose change. Once I had what I had got, even a few dollars would be good, Id sit and think of some cheap things I could afford to buy.. I mean you might be eating the same thing for a few days, but its better than falling off the wagon and possibly feeling bad about it. Frozen Veggies dont have to cost alot, atleast the store brands-- tuna can be cheap too.. I got a few cans today at the store for 33 cents on sale. Stretch it as far as it can go. Even canned veggies, which might not be as good as fresh or frozen, but will do-- We have stores out here (dont know if you do) that sell cans of veggies for 29 cents or so a piece.. Sometimes on sale you can get 4/1.00 the store brands.

In the future, if you dont keep change in any certain place, try finding like an old tin, or coffe can, or something and instead of spending the change, even if its 99 cents, stick it in the jar.. I dont know how many times my change jar has saved our butts 3 days before payday and no $$!

Right now Im making a huge batch of soup myself! That way at the very least I dont have to cook every day if I dont want to LOL..

Anyhow, dont give up.. trading with friends is an excellent idea.. Or trading with family if you have family close by..

I hope something works out for you!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 19:26

Thanks so much everyone... I did the change thing, remembered that I had stashed a jar of change in my bedside table actually.. it got me eggs (my favourite) and some milk (for the kids) and some cans of meat which were on sale (the cordon bleu stuff... ugh, but will do!), and a bag of salad for 1.99 (canadian)... so that'll have to stretch. I'm going to make that soup and those crouton/tuna thingies.. that sounds like a plan on TOP of the food I got. I think I might be able to make it through without gaining... I hope. I will drink a LOT of water too.. grin!

You are all so helpful and supportive. No wonder I'm addicted to this board... and there I was just whining, and you've lightened my day and the load on my shoulders. Thank you. *sniff*

Blessings!!!!!!!!!