Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 03:56
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Has anyone else

had a problem using Splenda? Even though I don't want to admit it, I believe it has been the cause of almost chronic asthma that I have had for a month and a half. I thought it was just the "left overs" from the flu that I had. It just wouldn't clear up and actually was getting worse. I have been on antibiotics etc., but nothing worked. Then, one day I remembered that Splenda has a chlorine molecule attached to sugar that gives it it's no carbohydrate sweet taste. Chrlorine in laundry always gives me asthma. So, I decided to give up the splenda and see if that helped. Two days later, I am asthma free for the first time in a couple of months! Has anything similar happened to anyone else? I am sensitive to chemicals due to living in a formaldehyde ridden mobil home about 20 years ago that poisoned my system. That could be the reason I seem to react to it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 08:50
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

I understand where you are coming from. Splenda does have cholorine in it. I'm thinking this is not the same as in our bleach...I'm thinking it's the same that's in most drinking water.

Maybe someone else will have more info on this.

cin
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 13:20
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

From their website: "SPLENDA* Low calorie sweetener is derived from a white sugar (sucrose) molecule. Three hydroxl groups are removed and replaced with three chloride groups. "

Chloride, btw, is different from chlorine. Table salt is sodium chloride, and chloride is measured when they test your blood for electrolytes levels.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:55
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Default I have been

off of Splenda for 3 or 4 days and have had no asthma. I am going to try a little bit of it again today and see what happens. If I get the old "rattle, rattle, cough, cough, I am laying off of the stuff for good. I will let you know.