Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 12:02

Plan: Meat, leaves, & berries
Stats: 192/175/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Question Is anyone making their own YOGURT?

I have recently started eating yogurt again, organic and plain with more than two cultures. It's great! But isn't it really easy to make? Is anyone out there making their own?

I would appreciate any tips before I start growing stuff on my kitchen counter!

Thanks! Janice
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 17:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Janice, Try creme fraiche

I've made my own yogurt and it took a while and was always runny. You also have to start it over after a few batches.

I recently made creme fraiche, which is like a little bit of heaven. It's so easy and it tastes like sour cream but much less tart and very fluffy.

I think I posted the recipe on Plum's journal. If not ask me and I'll give it to you.

Today I made an 8 in mock danish (thin) and covered it with creme fraiche that I added a little splenda to. Then I sliced a strawberry on it. I thought I was in heaven!

The creme fraiche has more fat, less carbs and is really great.
Try it.

Carol
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 02:23

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi, Atrsy!

Creme fraiche sounds good! How do you make it?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 13:05

Plan: Ketovore
Stats: 203/173/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Smile I make my own

I make mine with fresh organic whole milk, organic non-instant powdered milk and a 1/4 cup of leftover yogurt or store bought (have had trouble with that before). I use a heating pad for the heat. I put the heating pad on a counter with a towel under it and a towel on top, then I put the yogurt mix in a quart(s) jar with lid and cover it with a double thickness bath towel to help keep it warm. It works really well. I was just letting it sit for 3 hours until it was firm to the touch, but now I understand it needs to sit longer so the bacteria can digest more of the milk sugar, i.e., carbs. I t always turned out nice and creamy for me and sweet, but I think that is why it needs to sit longer and be quit a bit sourer. I tried it with regular milk (not organic) and it did not turn out well at all. I wish I could use regular, it is cheaper!
Anyway enjoy your home made yogurt, girls
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 22:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

I use regular whole milk (not organic), goat milk if I can; I don't add the milk powder (TOO much lactose) and buy the starter from the Health Food Store unless I have some "real" yogurt lying about unused. I've also used varying amounts of milk and cream, they'll all 'turn' quite nicely.

The trick to the whole milk versus the organic may be that I 'preheat' the milk. I 'scald' it (about 160-170F) for a few minutes, don't boil. This may kill off the competing bacteria. Let it return to room temperature, then use the 'starter' of choice. My method is the same except that I put a large stockpot upside down over the jars and cover THAT with another towel or two... the heating pad works great, doesn't it?

By the way, creme fraiche is usually just cream that's had some good yogurt stirred in as a starter. Yogurt made with cream, but usually used quite quickly, not very far along... just barely tangy.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:44

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

I've been trying to make homemade yogurt, too and it has turned out quite well. I've found several ways to make it from recipes I've found on low carb sites. Does anyone know what the carb count is for say, a cup of homemade yogurt? One recipe I have says the fermentation 'eats' the carbs from the milk and it ends up being like 4 carbs for a cup. But Dr. Atkins list 1 cup of yogurt as about 12 carbs. I need to know cause I love yogurt and it's so good for ya, but gotta count them carbos!

Also, what is the time frames for making yogurt? I've heard 3-5 hours all the way to 30 hours!

Starting over today.

Soteria
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 21:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

There's a whole lot of really good posts already about making yogurt both in the LowCarb Kitchen forum and in the Candida forum (I think that's in the Health and Technical forum, won't be hard to find).

Enjoy.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 13:01
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Default Picnic Cooler Yogurt

I used to make my own yogurt. I kept it warm in a picnic cooler overnight - I bet wrapping the picnic cooler in towels would be even better