Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 08:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%
Default Sample daily intake...still not right???

I guess I really need some help here...I'm through with the induction but have decided to go at it one more week since I lost 6 lbs the first week and nothing since. I know a few days I blew the calories off the map, and one day I didn't count the carbs right, but aside from a few mistakes, I've been faithful to the program. BUT...yesterday's menu, according to Fitday.com has my carbs at 38!! I was careful!! I looked forward to 2 cups of broccoli for dinner with my fish...but that pushed my carbs way over the limit. Can someone please check me out on this -- I WANT to do this right and get the weight to start going DOWN!!

Total: 1734
Fat: 139 1253 73%
Sat: 65 583 34%
Poly: 14 123 7%
Mono: 52 469 27%
Carbs: 38 99 6%
Fiber: 14 0 0%
Protein: 89 356 21% \
My menu:

Breakfast : 2 fried eggs, in butter, 2 sausage links, 2 oz. melted cheese, coffee with heavy cream, 1 oz

Lunch : small cobb salad, no dressing - ate only half, 8 pcs. salami (thin) and 4 cubes swiss cheese

Snack : 1/2 small bag of dry roasted almonds, (bag said 4 carbs/2 fiber)

Dinner : 5 large scallops broiled in butter, 2 cups broccoli, butter, coffee with heavy cream, 1 oz.

Drank all my water, wasn't hungry until dinner, but I have for the past two days had a very heavy feeling in my stomach, almost nauseous and needed an alka seltzer! I figured it was snacking on too much salami, so I cut that down. Is there ANYTHING else I can do??

This board has been my anchor....thank you so much for your help!

Donna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 09:24
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I've been using fitday for a couple of months now.... off the top of my head, this menu doesn' tlook like 38 g of carbs unless the almonds were 4 g "per serving" and you had more than one serving!! (Sometimes that can be tricky) Sausage can have some carbs, some do not. Refer to the label on your particular brand. Cheeses too can add some carbs....if I'm not mistaken, swiss has more than cheddar. I would suggest that you go back to fitday and examine your items carefully.... did you perhaps not post the amounts correctly for each item? Also, note that you had several grams of fiber which can be deducted from your carb count for an "effective carb count" of 24....so it wasn't such a bad day after all! Hope this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 10:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Yes, that helps! And thanks for your quick response. As I sit down with my sausage and eggs for breakfast, I'm remembering that broccoli has fiber I could have deducted and probably didn't. Today, I'm going to lay off the almonds - I got stuck for a snack and had to make do -- and I'm also going to increase my water. I really expected more loss on induction - since I started at 201 and tend to lose quickly at first! But, as long as it keeps creeping DOWNWARDS, I'm fine with that. Today I'm still at 192 but that's a whole lot better than it was! Next week, will try stage 2.

Donna
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 10:35

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Actualy you did goood... Your carb count was 38 but your fiber count was 14 so that give you 24 effictive carb count which is goood.... so you only have to count the 24 carbs for that days menue.... I would watch your salimi meats... just in case they contain alot of sugars or fillers.. but everything looks good so far... eat some salad dressing with your salads if you like.

Tammy
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 11:12

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Exclamation calories

Hi Donna,

It is generally a good idea to keep your calories to at least 10-12X your body weight, so at 192, you should aim for at least 1900 calories a day. I know, I know you aren't supposed to have to count calories, but since you're on fitday anyway.....When you go below this number of calories (the least your body needs to work on a cellular level) your metabolism starts to shut down (this is why low cal diets only work for the short term). I think you'll find if you keep the calories up, believe it or not, you'll lose a lot faster! This has helped countless people here.....try adding things like mayo, butter, low carb salad dressings like ranch, olive oil......they not only get the calories up, they make things taste good

Good luck!
Grace
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins currently, maybe PP soon, as well
Stats: 252/235/170
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Re: Sample daily intake...still not right???

Quote:

Drank all my water, wasn't hungry until dinner, but I have for the past two days had a very heavy feeling in my stomach

I too am curious about that "heavy feeling" in my stomach. Is it normal? I am eating enough to stay full, but not in excess, and am drinking tons of water. Is there such a thing as too much water? I am fearful that I am gonna gain water weight.

Becky
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 12:05
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Donna,

You are actually ahead of the game as far as your "expected" weight loss.....

You can expect to lose about 10% of your desired weight loss during induction....for you that'd be about 5 lbs. After induction, you can expect to lose at a rate of about 5% per month....so anything more than 2-3 lbs. per month would be ahead of the curve!! Don't be in a big rush to lose the weight.... your body will go through fits and starts as it gets used to the new metabolic process and will let go of the weight in its own good time. If you set your expectations too high you may chuck the whole thing and that would be a shame.....because what's your alternative?? Low-fat, Hi-carb DIEts are really unhealthy....do the research and the more you read the more you'll be convinced this is the best there is!! And resist the temptation to reduce your fat and calories....it's very important to keep your calories at the 10-12x your body weight level so your body doesn't go into starvation mode... It'll hold on to every little fat cell it can!!!

Sorry, I can't address the bloated, heavy feelings you might be experiencing except to say that during this switch in metabolic pathways your body goes through some pretty confusing times.... just be patient and DRINK YOUR WATER, WATER, WATER!!!!!! Very soon you'll be fit as a fiddle!!