Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 19:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/185/175 Male 71 inches
BF:28/19/14
Progress:
Question Caffeine and Aspartame When Doing Atkins?

Hi,

I'm new to the board. I know Atkins frowns on aspartame as an artificial sweetner and caffeine, but he seems to be a little fuzzy as to why in his 2 major books (Revolution and For Life).

My simple question is whether his rejection of these 2 compounds are because he found that they directly interfere with weight loss or because they are harmful to the body in other ways?

Atkins is a most effective diet. It would be that much "sweeter" if I could keep my cup of joe before my workout along with my sugar-free jello after dinner.

Anyone got the 411 on why Atkins disses caffeine and aspartame?

Thanks,

Jammin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 21:10

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

He actually does talk about why.. The resone for ceffeine is that it help your body burn carbs faster, and as a result your blood sugar levels drop, and as a result you get cravings..
As for asartame, there is a theory that in some people the stuff causes an insulin reaction...
However, you were asking about sweetening your fooe, and you can, using Splenda...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 21:57

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I agree with what Jammin wrote. I don't do either caffiene or aspartame. I do use a bit of Splenda...found Diet Rite coke to drink that fits the bill and is good (tried it with a bit of cream tonight and tasted like a coke float!). I also eat Russell Stovers chocolates. And you can make jello with Splenda...I think there's some recipes on this website...unflavored gelatin, kool aid and splenda? Anyway...what I'm saying is there are other options....such as caffiene free coffee But if caffiene and aspartame don't cause you to stall, and you are unconcerned about any other health issues they may cause, then by all means keep them in your diet...after all it is your diet and your decision.