Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 01:23

Plan: No real plan, just try to stay below 30g of carbs a day
Stats: 186.5/186.5/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Best time to weigh yourself?

Was wondering when is the best time of the day to check your weight.

I have one of those digital scales. I think its kinda broken because i weighed myself 10x in a row 4 hours after dinner and it said 179.5. I was like WOW, i lost 6 pounds! I thought to myself, thats too good to be true in a week. So I let the scale sit for a bit and weighed myself again 10 times and it said 185.5. Of course this very much demoralized me and i think to myself this is probably more accurate
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 02:11

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

The best time is first thing in the morning - naked - befroe you eat or drinkl anything and after you've been to the loo.

Digital scales seem to have a 'memory' and are not always accurate. When I don't believe mine, I weigh myself holding a dumbell I know is exactly 6 kilos and then subtract this.

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 03:17

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Don't rely on the scale too much. I prefer to measure. If you have added exercise to your routine you may be adding muscle, which weighs more than fat. The measuring tape will give you the true story. According to my scales I weigh just over 180 pounds but I've dropped from size 22 to size 14 and someone who weighs 180 pounds shouldn't be in a size 14, more like an 18. So the scale does 'lie'.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 05:47
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Smile

Scales are definitely funny things.... I weigh myself daily first thing in the morning as a tool to monitor my body's reactions to certain foods (or to spot lapses in my eating behavior!), I chart this daily in a spreadsheet and as long as the overall trend is downward movement, I don't sweat the little ups that come with the downs. I've just ordered a new digital scale and hope that it will be more accurate than my current one which weighs 6 lbs light (little depressing to add that 6 to the total).

I agree with kj, about not getting too hung up on the scale though...even though I weigh everyday I also measure monthly. Muscle make a huge difference. I weigh about 175 right now and am wearing 9's and 11's. The last time I weighed 175 I wore 2 or 3 sizes larger, but the weight training I do has made a big difference in my body composition.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistant diet
Stats: 320/240/138
BF:44%/33%/19%
Progress: 44%

I weigh myself after I have went to the bathroom and naked however, I wait about an hour after I wake up to weigh before I eat or drink due to me having endometriosis and being bloated first thing when I wake up.

I love my scale but I measure too so when it doesnt seem accurate I dont get frustrated.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 12:55
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by *April S*
II wait about an hour after I wake up to weigh before I eat or drink due to me having endometriosis and being bloated first thing when I wake up.

Hi April:

Is that why? I've been weighing at different times of the day to note variances. I've noticed a couple of hours after getting up is better than first thing in the morning, which doesn't jive with conventional advice. So it's my endo that causes this? Hmmmm...

ljclowater - I had to increase everything by 3.5 pounds when I got my Tanita scale. Just make sure you adjust your beginning/current/goal stats on this site. It makes it a little less painful.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Thu, Feb-20-03 at 12:56.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistant diet
Stats: 320/240/138
BF:44%/33%/19%
Progress: 44%

Yep, unfortunately even on a low carb you usually have bloating and water retention somewhat with endo. My re said that you can hold as much as 8 to 10 pounds of water weight with it, especially if the endo is affecting your bowels too. I usually weigh 1 1/2 to 2 lbs lighter after I have been up for an hour. A good indication to tell if you are holding excess water is by looking at your eyelids when you wake up. Mine are always puffy when I first wake up.

Unfortunately I dont know of anything to help with it. BCP can slow down endo and the side effects may be lessened however you can still have bloating from that too.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 15:34
Mad Scientist

BF:

That's interesting. I don't think I have much water retention b/c my weight doesn't fluctuate drastically. But I do have endo on my bowel.

I found LC to have really helped my endo. Maybe b/c I eat organic foods since pesticides are also implicated in the disease.

Wanda
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 15:37

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I always weigh myself in the a.m. - before breakfast but after I go to the bathroom - naked. This gives me the most consistent reading day in-day out.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 18:10
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Wink

Thanks Wanda, I've known about this problem for a long time however, so my stats were all painfully adjusted a couple of years ago... I was just too cheap to get a new scale before now... Trust me, I will be checking the accuracy of my new one closely when it arrives!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 10:20
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi ljclowater:

The only advantage to having an accurate scale is that I got to increase my calories by 30/day.

Wanda